Limiting Effects in a preset

Chat about Show Buddy Active lighting & video control software
sapian

Limiting Effects in a preset

Post by sapian »

Not sure if I'm understanding Effects and how they work with presets. Let's say I create an effect, say a color chase on some light bars, and save it as a preset using channel masking so it only affects the bars. Then I create another color chase preset using an Effect on some moving head RGBW lights, again channel masking to limit it to only the moving heads. It seems the last used effect takes over all lights when executed. Sure I can mask lights out in the Effects panel but then those lights color chase stops with the next cue because they get masked out, even though I created that present too only effect the channels of one type of light. Seems Effects in SBA don't follow the rules of channel masking. I used to create color chases with oscillators in DMXIS, I thought upgrading to SBA would make it easier to create these but it seems they have a global effect on other lights. Again, creating mask layers in the Effects panel allows isolation of certain lights, but they disappear when I load another preset during a Showbuddy Set List session.
Quentin

Re: Limiting Effects in a preset

Post by Quentin »

I don't use Effects, but this might have something to do with whether the FX ON button is on or off in each preset.
sapian

Re: Limiting Effects in a preset

Post by sapian »

Thanks for the reply,
It does and it doesn't.

I figured out that if FX is OFF when a preset is saved and you have an FX playing before pressing a scene with FX OFF if there are lights that are active in both the previous active FX scene and the scene with FX OFF they overlay or compound each other. ( even though you say to activate all channels with values of FX lights to zero in following preset) In RGB fixtures you get colors that are the product of both scenes color definitions. In the Live view window you can see the previous FXZ playing dimmed out with the layers dimmed.

If you want the next scene to not be influenced by a previously loaded FX, you must save the scene with FX ON but make sure there are no layers in the FX (other than default projected area). If an FX is playing when you do this the FX will become un-dimmed when you press FX ON, then you must delete all the layers before you save the scene.

I use channel masking extensively when creating shows. FX's don't follow the same rules so I have to re-think how I create presets, versions that allow FX's to play through, and ones that don't.