Tutorial needed. ASAP

Chat about Show Buddy Active lighting & video control software
Cluster Trees

Tutorial needed. ASAP

Post by Cluster Trees »

Hello! today I got an ENTTEC Open DMX USB and I decided to go for Show buddy, but i got stuck trying to make my lights work! I have some off brand PARs and two LED BARs. I'm already trying to get it right on de FIXTURES page but i don't know how to set up correctly a new unlisted fixture, can somebody help me?

EDIT: Been struggling with trying to patch the lights, is there a tutorial on this? the description on both the program and de manual are confusing and i end up sending no signal to my DMX lights.
Dave Brown [admin]

Re: Tutorial needed. ASAP

Post by Dave Brown [admin] »

Before patching any fixtures in the software, you should make sure that your Open DMX box is actually transmitting correctly. Show Buddy Active continually transmits DMX data to your fixtures, even when no fixture definitions are patched. You should initially check that you can control your fixtures manually by moving the relevant faders on the Controls tab, before moving onto patching.

If moving the faders does nothing, then click the "Universes..." button and make sure you have chosen "Enttec Open DMX" in the "Send to USB panel".

If you still cannot control your lights, then the problem might lie with the settings or addressing on the fixtures themselves, or it might be a cabling issue.
Dave Brown - db audioware
Author of Show Buddy Setlist | Show Buddy Active | ArtNetMon
Cluster Trees

Post by Cluster Trees »

Dave Brown [admin] wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:39 am Before patching any fixtures in the software, you should make sure that your Open DMX box is actually transmitting correctly. Show Buddy Active continually transmits DMX data to your fixtures, even when no fixture definitions are patched. You should initially check that you can control your fixtures manually by moving the relevant faders on the Controls tab, before moving onto patching.

If moving the faders does nothing, then click the "Universes..." button and make sure you have chosen "Enttec Open DMX" in the "Send to USB panel".

If you still cannot control your lights, then the problem might lie with the settings or addressing on the fixtures themselves, or it might be a cabling issue.
Thanks for the reply Admin! My ENTTEC open DMX does send signal. I've used it with another program (Lightkey) and it does send signal and let me control the program. Maybe i'm doing something wrong with the set up? The way i set up my lights is:

-All lights in DMX mode
-The proper address of each light (Set up accordingly to each individual light manual)
-Do the proper DMX cable connection
-open the Light dmx software
-Select usb dmx interface
-Patch lights
-control lights
-Set up show

At least this is what i did in lightkey. What am i doing wrong?

Right now I'm trying just with one fixture on the dmx channel 001 and it's still not working, I'm working on mac
Dave Brown [admin]

Did you set up your universes like this?
Screenshot 2023-09-12 at 22.20.42.png
Cluster Trees

Post by Cluster Trees »

Dave Brown [admin] wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 10:22 pm Did you set up your universes like this?

Screenshot 2023-09-12 at 22.20.42.png
Yes! i also have the blinking light and when i start SBA it says connected.
Captura de Pantalla 2023-09-12 a la(s) 15.37.04.png
spree

Post by spree »

I think I'm having the same problem here...

All of a sudden I'm not getting any DMX signal to my lights from my open dmx box when connected to both my macs.

On the one running Sonoma, I get a connected notification and a blinking light but no lighting control is happening.

On the one running Catalina, I don't even get that, just nothing. Both machine's were working fine previously it's bizarre.

I thought it must have been the interface so I bought another one and still no joy.

I've now got both interfaces working through a Windows laptop so it's a mac issue...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Dave Brown [admin]

What version of Show Buddy Active are you running?
spree wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:32 pm I think I'm having the same problem here...

All of a sudden I'm not getting any DMX signal to my lights from my open dmx box when connected to both my macs.

On the one running Sonoma, I get a connected notification and a blinking light but no lighting control is happening.

On the one running Catalina, I don't even get that, just nothing. Both machine's were working fine previously it's bizarre.

I thought it must have been the interface so I bought another one and still no joy.

I've now got both interfaces working through a Windows laptop so it's a mac issue...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Dave Brown [admin]

Upon investigation, it looks like an old issue with the Apple USB driver has surfaced, possibly due to recent macOS updates. There is a known solution...

If Show Buddy Active appears to connect to your Open DMX box but does not transmit data, install the D2xxHelper utility from the official FTDI website.
spree

Post by spree »

Thanks so much Dave! This fixed the issue on both my Macs. :-)