MIDI learns but does not respond

nycborn

MIDI learns but does not respond

Post by nycborn »

I am trying to advance the Banks and Presets via a MIDI foot pedal. I assigned the Midi commands to the Preset and Banks advance and Back buttons successfully (and see the assignments when I right-click the buttons). But when I send the Mdi commands there is no response.

Is there a setting I am missing? I am running this on a Windows 10 machine, the latest DMXis version. And I am not using channels 15/16 as I only want to advance/rewind one at a time (I am using Channel 1).

Any help appreciated.
Dave Brown [admin]

Re: MIDI learns but does not respond

Post by Dave Brown [admin] »

Make sure you are sending MIDI notes at full 127 volume
Dave Brown - db audioware
Author of Show Buddy Setlist | Show Buddy Active | ArtNetMon
nycborn

Post by nycborn »

I modified the note on command to be at level 127 - still no luck. DMXis definitely 'sees' the command to learn it but then it does not respond to it after learning complete. What should I try next?
nycborn

Post by nycborn »

I'm using a Matthews Effects Futurist pedal to send MIDI commands btw - but I have monitored MIDI on the target computer running DMXis and all seems in order as far as MIDI communications to the computer is concerned.
RichG

Post by RichG »

nycborn wrote: Thu Apr 28, 2022 4:00 pm I am trying to advance the Banks and Presets via a MIDI foot pedal. I assigned the Midi commands to the Preset and Banks advance and Back buttons successfully (and see the assignments when I right-click the buttons). But when I send the Mdi commands there is no response.
I don't think you can Advance/Back Presets and Banks with Midi in DMXIS. If you're assigning Midi to the '<' and '>' arrows in the upper right of the Fader view, all that does is move back and forth through the Fader pages.

Bank & Preset control is done through File | Preferences | General... but even then, it's an absolute selection of a bank or preset, not an Advance/Back like with the footswitch.

Show Buddy Active does allow Advance/Back Preset & Bank through Midi assignment under the Remote Control section.
nycborn

Post by nycborn »

Perhaps you are right - it did allow and recall the MIDI assignment so I thought it would work. Will keep using foot switch - Thanks!
Dave Brown [admin]

Post by Dave Brown [admin] »

You can most definitely control the bank & preset buttons from MIDI, see this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qinU3K4mVDY

The video shows a virtual MIDI controller (VPMK) sending notes to DMXIS on channel 1 at velocity 127. So long as your foot controller is doing the same, it should work fine.

Make sure your footswitch is transmitting on a different channel from "MIDI bank control" and "MIDI preset control" in Preferences:

Screenshot 2022-04-30 at 10.05.46.png
Dave Brown - db audioware
Author of Show Buddy Setlist | Show Buddy Active | ArtNetMon
RichG

Post by RichG »

Dave Brown [admin] wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:01 am You can most definitely control the bank & preset buttons from MIDI
Wow! I stand corrected. Been using DMXIS for 8 years and never knew those arrows were assignable on the Preset Manager. That was the primary reason I still used the footswitch... that and 'Hold For Last Preset' which I use to bring up a strobe preset during song transitions.
nycborn

Post by nycborn »

Thanks for all the help - I have made progress but am not successful yet. I made sure my settings were per your screenshot. Now I get the DMXis to learn the MIDI command and respond to the first command of each type but none after the initial command. To be clear - it responds to the first time a MIDI command is issued (e.g., next Preset) but will not respond to that command again, I can issue a first command to next bank for example and it will respond to that but only once. I feel I am so close to getting this sorted.

Any thoughts on what this is about? I checked the MIDI command stream using a monitoring program and the foot switch is issuing the commands it seems that DMXis is ignoring them. I'm so close! Any thoughts appreciated.
RichG

Post by RichG »

nycborn wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 2:51 pm I can issue a first command to next bank for example and it will respond to that but only once.
I was able to duplicate what you're seeing. I linked a CC to the down arrow button on the Preset Manager page. If I send a value of 127 it presses the button down (you'll see it change visually). I then have to send a value of 0 to release the button. Once the button is released I can send another CC message to advance the selection.

So, make sure whatever mechanism you're using sends values in On (127)/Off (0) pairs... like a momentary switch.
nycborn

Post by nycborn »

AWESOME! THANK YOU!!!

Probably in documentation for DMXis this should be "noted" (pun intended) - works like a charm now.

I recommend this pedal BTW as you can very compactly control MIDI and label the switches :)

Thanks again -