Multi colored chases

Chat about Show Buddy - show control software from db audioware.
Brattbugg

Multi colored chases

Post by Brattbugg » Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:06 pm

Good morning. I am 1 week into Show Buddy and am loving it. I've used this forum a ton to discover cool things that I can do with this program. I do have a question that I can't find an answer to, at least by searching the terminology I'm using. Any help here would be appreciated.
I'm working right now with 8 generic par cans, all having thier own dmx adress . The mapping of the lights and channel assignments are correct, just as a start here. Within the light itself, there are various chases available . They show up on the Dmxis channel labeled "program", but are unaffected by the dimmer control . Is there a way to create my own chases that I have more control of the coloring and brightness? Say, set fixture 1&5 to red, 2&6 to blue, 3&7 green etc and have the Show Buddy chase that? I suppose I'm asking about taking several presets and chasing amongst them. Am I making sense? Thanks in advance. Myke

joebataz

Re: Multi colored chases

Post by joebataz » Wed Oct 09, 2019 8:56 pm

Hey Brattbugg,

Yes, it can be done. What you need to do is duplicate the chase that is turning your pars on and off. So for instance you have channels on your pars that are red, green, blue, amber and dimmer. In this example we'll use 4 of the pars. When you set up your oscillator you will select the dimmer channel on each par holding down the ctrl key (cmd on Mac). Set your dimmer level and a single color, say red. You then choose a type, for chases square is definitely the best. Set your offset to 1. Select a speed. Shape can change the time the dimmer is on so you can get very quick blips or long times that will make your pars overlap. At this point the chase should be running and you can adjust the shape to get a nice clean chase. What I recommend is that you make a note of your oscillator settings and then save your preset now before you add the colors. Go back into the preset. Now turn off all the red channels and select one color from each par, holding the key as above and duplicate the oscillator settings that you used for the dimmers. You should now have the pars chasing in color. Pretty nifty! If you did something wrong just back out of the preset, DON'T overwrite, select another preset and then the one you are working on and it will be back to a plain red chase. If all is good save the preset. Now the fun stuff.
Say you are chasing R-G-B-A but instead you want to be chasing B-G-A-R. Easy to change! If you select the red par color you should see a value of 0.00 in the offset. If you select the green par color you will see 0.25 in offset. 0.50 in the blue offset and 0.75 in the amber offset. So to get the BGAR chase you would put 0.00 in the blue offset, 0.25 in the green offset, 0.50 in the amber offset and 0.75 in the red offset. To get a REVERSE chase you could go into the dimmer channels and just change the values so they are backwards.
WARNING! When you change offset values manually the chase may not look how it should, especially when you reverse. Save the preset, select another preset and go back to the preset you were working on and VIOLA, you should see what you thought you should. As with all things practice and experimentation pay off. You can go pretty wild once you understand how the oscillators can be used. Be prepared to screw up. I've been doing this for 7+ years and I still screw up.
If you run into any issues just reply and I'll see if I can help you.

best,

joeb

Brattbugg

Re: Multi colored chases

Post by Brattbugg » Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:32 pm

Thanks, I will check this out