Trigger Dpro show control from an MP4

Chat relating to ENTTEC D-PRO lighting control software.
Andy Middleton

Trigger Dpro show control from an MP4

Post by Andy Middleton » Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:59 am

Hi All,
I am putting on 'The greatest Showman Cinema Experience' showing the film on big screen, but also adding lighting choreography and live dance/effects to the songs to give it an immersive wow factor.

Currently I am creating two or three different layers of lights (3 separate cue lists in show control on same radio trigger) for each level of music, that start at the same 'point' but have different delays using 'non functional' cues, and therefore play at the right time in the song. There are ten songs and a dozen or so effects throughout the film and I am programming my timings in the cue lists to be spot on to the second with film.
I can manually push the trigger button for each of the 'prompts' but not without some stress of it being absolutely on time.

Is there a way to trigger these cues in show control from the MP4 movie timeline itself. I am a novice with midi and the technical stuff so a clear explanation of what I can do would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for any advice or experience you can offer

Andy

Andy Middleton

Re: Trigger Dpro show control from an MP4

Post by Andy Middleton » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:36 pm

Hi All,

OK, no response on the Mpeg 4 option, but is there a way to assign the DPRO cues to a music timeline. A software perhaps that works with dPRO.
Is anyone doing this?

Thank you

APT Tech

Post by APT Tech » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:08 pm

We'll sometimes do synchronized lights to sound and/or video in our theater. We use an application called QLab regardless of whether it's synced or manually cued, QLab runs all of our sound effects - mic cues - video cues - and lighting cues. We use OSC for D-Pro cueing, but if they're on the same computer (ours is not) you could use MIDI instead if you prefer.

In our case, we start the video and/or sound in QLab, then just put "pre-waits" on our light cues to trigger them at the appropriate time. The attached shows a sample "Scene" in QLab, trigger the initial "Start Scene" cue - the video starts, and the first lighting cue starts (pre-wait is 0:00). Then at 35.27 seconds, the second lighting cue starts (we're using a Radio Group in D-Pro, so turning on one cue turns off the prior one - if you don't do that, you'd put in a 2nd cue to fade out the original lights). At 1:12.62 a 3rd cue takes over. Then at 3:44.56 (end of the video) we fade the final cue to black.

If we're doing live music, instead of timing the cues we'll literally put each lighting cue in as a manual cue, which can be triggered by tapping the space bar or using a MIDI input (we have a red button on a MIDI controller that's our "Go" button).
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-06-23 at 10.02.06 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-06-23 at 10.02.06 AM.png (119.01 KiB) Viewed 213 times

Andy Middleton

Post by Andy Middleton » Sun Jun 23, 2019 5:44 pm

OK thank you for the quick reply and screen shot. I will look into this and see if it will work for me. Cheers Andy

Andy Middleton

Post by Andy Middleton » Sun Jun 23, 2019 6:20 pm

The software looks good, but too expensive. Is there a cheaper one available?

HattyCurll

Post by HattyCurll » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:36 pm

Hi...when playback is over, pressing the button only takes me to a specified time but doesn’t play the video. Would the second function you provided fix this problem. I tried to include it in the code but it didn’t work.

APT Tech

Post by APT Tech » Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:14 pm

Hello HattyCurll - it wasn't clear if you were asking me or Andy that question. Are you using D-Pro alone, or are you also using QLab? Screenshots, if you can provide them, might help.