Creating a pulse

Mutha Goose

Creating a pulse

Post by Mutha Goose »

I am trying to create a white pulse of light that I can manually sync with the beat like you see in any arena show and I can't seem to make it work. Can someone help?

The idea (in my mind anyway ;) ) is to layer a short-duration white scene (cue or cuelist) on top of an existing scene that I can trigger manually.

Can this be done in D-Pro? If so, how?

Thanks
ddp

Re: Creating a pulse

Post by ddp »

By 'manual sync', do you mean you tap a button each time you want a pulse?

i'd make a cue 'white light' and a cuelist 'white pulse' that briefly enables the white light cue: fade-in 0; duration as you want; fade-out 0.

then assign it to a button in the show contrl window; that should work i think.
Mutha Goose

Post by Mutha Goose »

Yes, I mean I want to create a button to tap each time I want a pulse.

I would have thought that's how I should be able to do it too. I tried, but it doesn't work. Either it just loops (Iif I have it set as such) or it stays on. It doesn't fade on top of a scene then fade back out leaving the original scene. And ideas?

I assume I'm doing something wrong. I am new to D-Pro. I have been using DMXis for the last few years. This effect is one of the reasons I upgraded.
Dave Brown [admin]

Post by Dave Brown [admin] »

First, the channel you are trying to pulse must be a dimmer channel for fading to work properly in Show Control.

Next, there are two ways to do this. You can simply define a "Flash" cue with your channel at 100%, and then drag that cue directly onto a Show Control button. Then, right-click on the button and set up a MIDI trigger (CC or note) and an optional fade in & out time. This gives you a basic "flash button", where the flash duration is determined by the length of time the controller button is held down.

You can optionally use a cuelist, but this is only necessary if you need to precisely time the duration of the flash. In this case, define a second "FlashOff" cue with your channel at zero. Then create a cuelist with two cues, Flash - FlashOff. Set the action for the second cue to "Stop cuelist", and adjust the cue timings as desired. Drag the cuelist to a Show Control button, set up a MIDI trigger and you're done.

Dave.
Dave Brown - db audioware
Author of Show Buddy Setlist | Show Buddy Active | ArtNetMon
ddp

Post by ddp »

Hey,

I made a little project file.
Load it, enable the "monitor live"' in de physical view (lower left screen)
Go to the show window; I assigned 2 buttons: start with "center", it just is some fading of led par's; then click the "flash" button, you'll see flash the other four pars.

So, first I made a couple of cues, and built 2 cuelists from that, which I assigned in the show control window.

The fact that you got a repeating flash is that in the cuelist, the last item should say 'stop cuelist' instead of 'Run next cue'.

Cheers,
Dave (not the same dave as in the post above :-) )
Attachments
flash.zip
(4.52 KiB) Downloaded 279 times
Mutha Goose

Post by Mutha Goose »

Thanks Daves....

What if I want to make all fixtures go white as part of the pulse?

To use DDP's project file as an example (thank you BTW, that was an awesome help), he has 2 fixtures on a color chase (3,4) and 4 that are off (1,2,5,6). For the Flash, he turns 1,2,5,6 on, and leaves 3,4 on their chase.

What I am trying to do is to turn 1-6 to white full bright (RGBAW=100% and Dimmer = 100%), then go back to 3,4 running their chase. Is this possible? With this, it wouldn't matter what I am running, I could flash on demand even if the fixtures were already on.
Dave Brown [admin]

Post by Dave Brown [admin] »

Mutha Goose wrote:What I am trying to do is to turn 1-6 to white full bright (RGBAW=100% and Dimmer = 100%), then go back to 3,4 running their chase. Is this possible?
Sure. Create a "Flash All" cue with RGBAW+Dimmer channels @ 100% for all 6 fixtures. Nothing else. Then drag that to your Show Control button and set up your trigger and attack/release times. Run your chases etc from separate buttons/sliders in Show Control.

You can then activate your "Flash All" button whenever you like, and it will layer the flash on top of any current cues or chases, returning to the original chase when the flash ends.
Dave Brown - db audioware
Author of Show Buddy Setlist | Show Buddy Active | ArtNetMon
Mutha Goose

Post by Mutha Goose »

Dave
Thanks for the quick reply. Yes I got it now. the key was to create a cuelist going from bright to off.

BTW, rather than starting a new thread, not too long ago there was a thread requesting Tap-Tempo. Do you have any guess as to an ETA? (he asks eagerly :) )