Create your own D-Pro FX scripts!

Dave Brown [admin]

Create your own D-Pro FX scripts!

Post by Dave Brown [admin] »

For anyone interested in getting their hands dirty with a little Python programming, I've posted a D-Pro FX script programming guide here:

http://forums.dmxis.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=236

(For anyone who was not aware, D-Pro effects are written using an extended Python scripting language. New effects can be added to the programmer window simply by dropping new script files into the relevant folder. Thus, we can "take orders" for new FX, or you can create your own, without requiring a new D-Pro software build)

Dave.
Dave Brown - db audioware
Author of Show Buddy Setlist | Show Buddy Active | ArtNetMon
dsiders

Re: Create your own D-Pro FX scripts!

Post by dsiders »

Dave Brown [admin] wrote:For anyone interested in getting their hands dirty with a little Python programming, I've posted a D-Pro FX script programming guide here:
http://forums.dmxis.com/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=236
I'm not really a Python guy (Object Pascal/Delphi for me), but I'm willing to give it a shot. Is this a good Python language reference for a Python novice? http://docs.python.org/2.6/reference/
Dj Solo

Post by Dj Solo »

DMXIS has more moving shapes (7) than D-Pro, (D-pro has only 3). How Can I get more moving fx scripts? Do you have any for me, please?
p.s. I'm not in to programming myself at alll )
dsiders

Post by dsiders »

Dj Solo wrote:DMXIS has more moving shapes (7) than D-Pro, (D-pro has only 3). How Can I get more moving fx scripts? Do you have any for me, please?
p.s. I'm not in to programming myself at alll )
I'm not a DMIXS user, so I have to ask... what are the shapes that it has that are not in D-PRO? And are they Python scripts?
Dj Solo

Post by Dj Solo »

I'm not a DMIXS user, so I have to ask... what are the shapes that it has that are not in D-PRO? And are they Python scripts?
Those are circle, diamond, figure 8, triangle, heartbeat, square, random.
Yes, they are Python scripts... I've copied them to D-pro folder/macros/shapes, the program noticed them in "add effect /shapes", but could not load them up - error messages came out...
dsiders

Post by dsiders »

Dj Solo wrote:
Yes, they are Python scripts... I've copied them to D-pro folder/macros/shapes, the program noticed them in "add effect /shapes", but could not load them up - error messages came out...
Interesting. DMIS must use different API/arguments/calling convention. I would love to try porting them top D-PRO as a learning exercise... assuming they can be shared.

Dave?
Dave Brown [admin]

dsiders wrote:
Dj Solo wrote:
Interesting. DMIS must use different API/arguments/calling convention. I would love to try porting them top D-PRO as a learning exercise... assuming they can be shared.

Dave?
Yes, DMXIS and D-Pro have completely different APIs (although of course one evolved from the other).

The DMXIS API is quite basic, whereas the D-Pro API lets you write dynamic macros with custom user interfaces (i.e. sliders, buttons & colour editors to change the macro on-the-fly within the Programmer window).

Please feel free to mess with any of the "factory" macros from either application, and redistribute as you like.
Dj Solo

Post by Dj Solo »

Dave, why didn't you add these shapes to D-pro? Isn't it too few of them in arsenal of professional lighting control software? I don't mind having as many effects as possible
2Henchmen

Post by 2Henchmen »

Dj Solo wrote:Dave, why didn't you add these shapes to D-pro? Isn't it too few of them in arsenal of professional lighting control software? I don't mind having as many effects as possible
Dave has given us the tools to shape the software. I'd prefer the effort is focused on application stability and overall polish before it gets crazy with additional macros. I've watched the progression of D-Pro from the very beginning and the development progress has been pretty amazing.

The focus doesn't need to be on additional effect shapes yet. Be glad that there's a piece of software that gives us basically unlimited access to the effects engine. Enttec could have easily decided to lock it down. In the future, who knows? Maybe they'll implement a "Script Library" like they've for for fixtures and we'll have more scripts/FX than we know what to do with.

Edit: Enttec and Dave have given us something pretty special, direct access to the developer of our control system.

Dj Solo, I have an analogy for what a lot of your posts seem to be. You want to buy a new car, and have decided that a Toyota 4Runner is your car. Its solid, has a lot of functions, can offroad great, etc. But before you buy, you want to know why Toyota's 4Runner isn't as fast as a Porsche 911. Why doesn't the 4Runner have a PDK transmission? Why can't it take a turn at 90mph without slipping?

The response from Toyota would be, "Well, we're focused on making the best offroad capable 4x4 we can. We don't have a need for those things...if that's what you want...then you should get a 911."

4Runner = D-Pro. Its a solid system that can do a lot. It'll get you from point A to point B safely. You can do some cool things along the way to make the ride more enjoyable. Get in and drive.

911 = GrandMA. You'll get from A to B insanely quick, but it's a learning curve. The shifts are perfect, the design flawless.

Maybe, you're more in the market for something in the middle? D-Pro isn't perfect for all situations. I wouldn't want to program a big mover show on it with some of my designers based on how they like to work. I've had designers that love EOS, and so I get them an EOS. Other's love Hog, and so we use Hog. If they don't care, I get to pick.

There isn't one controller to rule them all. I'd never, ever want to deal with a GrandMA during my summer season. Its too much console for the operation. Conversely, I wouldn't want to use EOS to busk a nightclub. It sounds to me like you can afford the 4Runner, but want the 911. So look in the middle. Find the WRX of the lighting world. Performance, reliability, but not an offroad king or a supercar. Maybe Chamsys is where you should look, or Hog4PC with a wing.

As a professional, I appreciate where D-Pro fits into my toolbox. It is a professional level controller, and remains easy enough that I can set up a system and walk away from it with confidence. Its a perfect price point for me as a consultant to recommend to facilities that need control, but don't have a lighting professional. I can work magic in D-Pro and they get an iPad with pretty buttons to make it happen. Its perfectly suited for the applications I need it for. If I need another system for a project, that's totally fine. I could totally make an EOS work for this latest install I'm doing, but I can't make my client ok with spending $25,000 instead of $500.
Dj Solo

Post by Dj Solo »

I'm totally agree with your point about the software prices and capabilities. I am a pro dj, and picked my first lighting control device and soft (DMXIS it was) only because of the features, that had first importance for me
Honestly, I just googled request: words were something like: dmx, plugin, bpm sync, midi... And trust me, the price is least important for me when I'm picking my working tool. And here my question was: is it that hard to implement the transfer of fx scripts, wrote in the same company, on the same python language from one software product to another?
P.S And I've noticed you comparing dmx products with automobiles )) I remember you imagining me wanting to control my steering wheel with midi or something :D Please, don't compare uncomparable ;)
2Henchmen

Post by 2Henchmen »

You missed my point entirely.
JRUDER

Post by JRUDER »

It has been several years now...the excuse of "Dave is really busy fixing more important things" is getting a bit weak.

Take a weekend and dig in. You programed this thing, finish up some much needed items!

I really expected it to do everything that DMXIS did where appreciate but with DMXIS the oscillator is very powerful and I can't seem to recreate anything like that here.

struggling through....
Dave Brown [admin]

JRUDER wrote:I really expected it to do everything that DMXIS did where appreciate but with DMXIS the oscillator is very powerful and I can't seem to recreate anything like that here.
D-Pro has more powerful oscillators than DMXIS. With the Programmer open, select some fixtures then choose add effect > Attribute Oscillator.
LittleAL

Post by LittleAL »

Hi Dave,

I know this thread hasn't seen action in a while, but I think I can relate to what JRuder is referring to above.

In DMXIS, I'm able to choose a series of faders (say R, G, and B channels of a group of Par fixtures) and apply a single Sine wave oscillator across all of the channels, creating an interesting color chase. I've had troubles recreating this type of effect in DPRO because the oscillator only works against a single attribute at a time, like the Red channel only as opposed to all 3. I've tried "stacking" multiple oscillators, creating 1 for each attribute- but it's not like in DMXIS where the single sine wave is working across all three color channels, you have to try to stack 3 different oscillators on top of each other and vary them enough that they don't end up working in exact unison so that you can get the chase effect. Is my understanding wrong? Can this be accomplished in DPRO in a simpler way?

Thanks!
Dave Brown [admin]

See this thread for a couple of new oscillator scripts, which will let you do RGB chases.
flippatspace

Post by flippatspace »

I am not authorized to view the linken posts :(
Dave Brown [admin]

Oh, thanks for pointing that out. A casualty of our website rewrite, no doubt. I'll look into getting those posts back!
flippatspace

Post by flippatspace »

That would be really great.

I know this is not the perfect thread for this question, but do you know if it is possible to create a script that for example fans 8 scanners. So that the one on the right is more turned into the right and the left to the left and the center to the middle? I hope you understand what I mean.

Ignore that - got it ^^
Dave Brown [admin]

Python script forum is back online :)
flippatspace

Post by flippatspace »

Thanks alot!
Tat2sailor

Post by Tat2sailor »

Has anyone "messed" with the scripts yet?
flippatspace

Post by flippatspace »

yes - I already created some or extended some of the default ones.
Dj Solo

Post by Dj Solo »

flippatspace wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 12:08 pm yes - I already created some or extended some of the default ones.
would you, please, be so kind to send some for me to djsolofeedback@gmail.com
Thank You...