Wireless and dmxis advice

Chat about Show Buddy Setlist show control software.
harmonicspeed

Wireless and dmxis advice

Post by harmonicspeed »

Hi.
I am in process of doing some research into replacing some of my dmx lights to wireless fixtures. I am looking at adding the Chauvet Freedom Sticks into my current setup. Although the Freedom Sticks are dmx, they are only wireless dmx. My other lights however are not wireless. What is best way to add these into my current setup to be controlled via the dmxis box and software?

Any advice will be most appreciated.
Darren
Freelance musician, singer/guitarist, composer, music teacher, recording artist, performer.

www.darrenhuntsolo.webs.com
neilnotts

Re: Wireless and dmxis advice

Post by neilnotts »

Hi Darren,

I retrofitted my lights this year with wireless dmx receivers. Initially I was very suspicious of anything coming from China but decided to take the plunge after a trial period.

I first started out by ordering some rechargeable dmx receivers (so as not to void any warranties)

https://www.lixada.com/p-l1292us-b.html

And I ordered this transmitter (this is what I plug into the DMXIS box)

https://www.lixada.com/p-l0822-1eu-b.html

I spent around 6 months trying them out in various venues and had no problem at all with them. Once I was happy I placed an order for some internal cards and the rest is history.

There are plenty of alternatives out there but all very costly. I would rather spend my money on new fixtures and Platinum :D

Hope that helps

Neil
Attachments
L0822-1EU-B-1-3e8f-hxL5.jpg
L0822-1EU-B-1-3e8f-hxL5.jpg (21.31 KiB) Viewed 18413 times
L1292US-B-1-9c9c-9YXI.jpg
L1292US-B-1-9c9c-9YXI.jpg (25.91 KiB) Viewed 18413 times
harmonicspeed

Post by harmonicspeed »

Thanks Neilnotts.

Will the transmitter for these be compatible with fixtures that already have wireless dmx built into the fixture as the fixture I am looking at adding do not have physical dmx connections?
Freelance musician, singer/guitarist, composer, music teacher, recording artist, performer.

neilnotts

Post by neilnotts »

That I couldn't tell you. Mine were all done from scratch. No other wireless infrastructure was in place.
Wtjj

Post by Wtjj »

Hi Wonder if you can help please did you actually get the lixada wireless system to work with dmxis? I purchased a Donner system today and it just won't work if I click on a preset it can take 5 minutes to change if at all. I guess I am just trying to figure if DMXIS is useable with wireless.

Thanks Thomas
Dave Brown [admin]

Post by Dave Brown [admin] »

I use the Donner wireless system on my office rig (via a DMXIS box) and it works flawlessly - no delays switching presets. Have you tried switching the wireless dongles to a different frequency?

Also, in DMXIS > Preferences > Audio/MIDI Settings, check you have an Input selected, and that the Audio buffer size is 512 or less. DMXIS uses the audio card for timing, and if the buffer is too high (or if you are using a dodgy old Windows driver) then your preset timing will suffer.
Dave Brown - db audioware
Author of Show Buddy Setlist | Show Buddy Active | ArtNetMon
neilnotts

Post by neilnotts »

Hi there.

The Lixada transmitter and receivers work perfectly. Just a thought. Have you made sure all the Donner transmitter and receivers are on the same channel? It's also worth trying switching all devices to another another channel.

Hope that helps

Neil
Wtjj

Post by Wtjj »

Thanks guys for getting back to me

I have tried on all Channels without success.

Dave I have checked preferences all are set correctly still happening today.

At least I know it can work on DMXIS which is good

I am trying to get some Tech support from Donner they asked me to send them a vid of what is happening so we will see.

I can always send unit back and get another if its faulty
harmonicspeed

Post by harmonicspeed »

Hi neilnotts,

Can you explain about the internal cards your mentioned (how to install etc)?

Thanks
Darren

theremoteguy

Post by theremoteguy »

Easiest thing would be to buy a Chauvet light that has their D-Fi wireless. They you could plug your DMxis into it directly and that would enable you to transmit wirelessly on their D-Fi system.
Wtjj

Post by Wtjj »

Well I finally figured out the issue it was down to a fault mains adapter on the transmitter.

I was about to return it when I thought I'd try one of the other power Leads ad they are all the same.

It powered up and worked straight away. The Donner system is great I have ordered 5 more receivers now.

First Gig with them Saturday night I'll put up a quick review after the gig.

Thanks for the support on here.
neilnotts

Post by neilnotts »

harmonicspeed wrote: Thu Nov 15, 2018 8:55 pm Hi neilnotts,

Can you explain about the internal cards your mentioned (how to install etc)?

Thanks
Darren
Hi Darren,

Have a look at this video. It's what I followed when putting the wireless cards into my non-wirelessDMX fixtures;

https://youtu.be/3SnaS6Rc-_A

Happy to answer any questions you may have. Search eBay for Wireless DMX cards, they're around £8 - 10 each.

Kind regards

Neil
harmonicspeed

Post by harmonicspeed »

That's great!

I just bought the Donner rechargeable wireless dmx system with enough receivers for most of my lights. Will see how that goes and maybe consider doing the internal version at a later stage.
Thank you Neil!

neilnotts

Post by neilnotts »

harmonicspeed wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:21 pm That's great!

I just bought the Donner rechargeable wireless dmx system with enough receivers for most of my lights. Will see how that goes and maybe consider doing the internal version at a later stage.
Thank you Neil!
You're welcome buddy. That's exactly what I did. Here if you need anything.
Wtjj

Post by Wtjj »

Well impressed with the Donner System ran it at my gig last night 8 receivers ran all night without a hitch. Certainly improved setup tear down times.

As for Showbuddy it's awesome
neilnotts

Post by neilnotts »

Wtjj wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:42 am Well impressed with the Donner System ran it at my gig last night 8 receivers ran all night without a hitch. Certainly improved setup tear down times.

As for Showbuddy it's awesome
Pleased it's all going well :)
Wtjj

Post by Wtjj »

Thanks Mate appreciate it
RichG

Post by RichG »

I've been using Donner wireless DMX receivers and transmitters for about 5 years now. I have both external and battery powered receivers. I have around 20 receivers and 4 transmitters... although I only use 6 to 10 receivers and one transmitter at a given show. The rest are backups. For the most part I don't have drop out or connection issues. I connect the transmitter directly to a DMXIS box. I run several wireless systems in close proximity to the transmitter and must say the Donner stuff gives me the fewest amount of issues. All in the same rack I have a router (2.4 GHz radio is off), 3 Line 6 XD-V70 systems, an IEM, a computer connected via Bluetooth to a MD-BT01.

Here are a few things I've learned:
1. The battery powered receivers seem to drop out more than the externally powered ones.
2. Not all battery powered receivers are the same. Some give me drop outs, while others are rock solid.
3. The externally powered ones seem to have more range.
4. Use the fewest amount of receivers as possible. If you have 4 lights on a T, then just use one receiver and small DMX jumper cables between fixtures.
5. They don't work very well in a Master/Slave automated mode without a DMX controller. I tried this with the transmitter on the master and the receivers on the slaves. Movers were jerky and washes would lose comm.
New Tricks

Post by New Tricks »

So........My Showbuddy lights are all programmed and synced to the backing tracks. I'm using 7 light bars wired together.

To get rid of the cables, all I have to do is plug a transmitter into the DMXIS box and plug receivers into each light bar? It's really that simple?

I freaking HATE cables. I don't mind transporting gear and heavy lifting but the damn cabling involved is really taking too much time.

I'm just starting to do research and I will trow whatever money necessary to eliminate cables. The Donner system is under 200 bucks so, hell yes I will will jump on it.

Now if I can find a wireless system for the audio, I'd be happy as shit!!
neilnotts

Post by neilnotts »

New Tricks wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:07 am To get rid of the cables, all I have to do is plug a transmitter into the DMXIS box and plug receivers into each light bar? It's really that simple?
Yup :D
New Tricks

Post by New Tricks »

Well, sign me up!

7 cables down, 20 (audio) to go.

THANKS!!
RichG

Post by RichG »

New Tricks wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 3:07 am Now if I can find a wireless system for the audio, I'd be happy as shit!!
If you're running powered speakers you could go with something like THIS or perhaps use an IEM solution.
New Tricks

Post by New Tricks »

Thanks. I was looking at that system and it may be worth a try.
DespyreMusic

Post by DespyreMusic »

Running with a Donner set up for a few months without issue.
cgrafx

Post by cgrafx »

harmonicspeed wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 12:19 pm Hi.
I am in process of doing some research into replacing some of my dmx lights to wireless fixtures. I am looking at adding the Chauvet Freedom Sticks into my current setup. Although the Freedom Sticks are dmx, they are only wireless dmx. My other lights however are not wireless. What is best way to add these into my current setup to be controlled via the dmxis box and software?

Any advice will be most appreciated.
Darren
Darren,

The Freedom Sticks already have wireless receivers built in. All you needed to do is add any of the Chauvet D-Fi transmitters and you'd be good to go. Its just silly to add a 3rd party wireless solution to replace a product that is specifically designed with wireless already built in.

https://www.chauvetdj.com/products/d-fi-hub/
Gordon C

Post by Gordon C »

I have been running "ALIEXPRESS Cheapos" wireless for years now, from different sellers (but essentially look identical) even works along with the cheap Lixada rechargeable receivers when set to same channel.

I have also bought the internal board kits and installed them to some lights... feeding off of the internal powersupply to the receiver and drilling holes to mount the antenna.

Currently working on led strip mic stands powered by lithium packs and wireless dmx!
RichG

Post by RichG »

Gordon C wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:23 amCurrently working on led strip mic stands powered by lithium packs and wireless dmx!
Great idea! Got pics?