Equinox MegaBar 15 Channel

Harddrive

Equinox MegaBar 15 Channel

Post by Harddrive »

Hi all. First posting.

I have a basic setup with Cakewalk Sonar 8 running DMXIS as a plug in. I have an Equinox GigaBar (16 CH) and four Wash Mini LED 7 Moving Heads (for which I use the Lixada 7 LED 15 CH setup. I wanted to introduce my mate's twin Equinox MegaBar either side of the band (the GigaBar is at the back) but am having real snags pinning down a decent DMX setup which corresponds to the scenes constructed for the GigaBar. Many of the DMX files don't give me the intrinsic control of the MagBar which I enjoy for the GigaBar - fades, colours and strobes are all off and some controls are non existent.

Is there a solution for his or even a decent DMXIS file I can use which will give me the control I need? I have Sonar triggering scenes via note-on and off and have setup fades on all fixtures via CC envelopes.

Cheers
Dave Brown [admin]

Re: Equinox MegaBar 15 Channel

Post by Dave Brown [admin] »

Have you tried the two Equinox Megabar 15-channel fixture definitions available at fixtures.dmxis.com?
Dave Brown - db audioware
Author of Show Buddy Setlist | Show Buddy Active | ArtNetMon
Harddrive

Post by Harddrive »

Yeah - tried those (two) and both of them give differing results when assigned to the MegaBar DMX start channels. For example, I don't have control of the RGB faders individually and the master fader starts strobing on pull down. The MegaBar is set to 15 Channel too.

How do I build my own preset insert for this fixture? Does it require a degree in code or summat?
cgrafx

Post by cgrafx »

Harddrive wrote:Yeah - tried those (two) and both of them give differing results when assigned to the MegaBar DMX start channels. For example, I don't have control of the RGB faders individually and the master fader starts strobing on pull down. The MegaBar is set to 15 Channel too.

How do I build my own preset insert for this fixture? Does it require a degree in code or summat?
The MegaBar and GigaBar are two different lights with different DMX profiles. You can't drive a MegaBar from the DMX commands for a GigaBar, it will have to be programmed separately (there is no magic that is going to translate those DMX commands for a different light)

Your making the mistake of thinking that a light bar set to 15ch mode will have the same layout. There is no standard, so every brand/light has its own DMX channel profile.
Dave Brown [admin]

Post by Dave Brown [admin] »

The fixture by Hefthomas appears to match the DMX chart in the manual perfectly.

However, the DMX implementation is rather odd. The manual seems to suggest that channel 1 (Mode) must be set to 11-21 in order for the remaining channels 2-15 to work?
Dave Brown - db audioware
Author of Show Buddy Setlist | Show Buddy Active | ArtNetMon
cgrafx

Post by cgrafx »

The Equinox GigaBar has DMX channels: 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 12 and 17 selectable
The Equinox MegaBar has DMX channels: 6, 9 and 15 selectable

These two lights are never going to match.

Dave, not sure if you understood Harddrive's request. He wants to use the DMX programming he did for the GigaBar directly with the MegaBar.

He attempted to do so by setting the DMX starting channel on the MegaBar to the start channel of the GigaBar.

This will of coarse not work. He will have to program DMX commands specifically for the MegaBar.
Harddrive

Post by Harddrive »

No - I have channels 01-16 set to the Giga Bar and subsequent channels set for the rotating heads.

Its just that now I have my mates Mega Bar connected up and what appears to be the profile loaded into DMXIS, the sliders don't do what they should do which suggest I have the wrong profile of the Megabar is incorrectly aligned.

I understand the profiling for both Equinox devices won't be compatible with each other

HD