DMXIS and LED lighting problem

mastablasta

DMXIS and LED lighting problem

Post by mastablasta »

I'm new to lighting and DMX and have built a small rig using LED strips which I hope to control in Ableton.
I'm having trouble getting the DMXIS plugin to get a response from the lights. My setup consists of a 512 DMX decoder powered by a 60 watt transformer, with my RGB LED's connected into the first output and then a 3 pin DMX cable in the input running to the output of my DMXIS. I don't have a DMX terminator on the output of my decoder, not sure if it will solve the problem as some people say it isn't necessary.
I have tried all 511 faders on the DMXIS plugin but no response from my lights.

Anyone know of a solution?
Dave Brown [admin]

Re: DMXIS and LED lighting problem

Post by Dave Brown [admin] »

What type of LED strip, and what make/model of DMX decoder are you using?
Dave Brown - db audioware
Author of Show Buddy Setlist | Show Buddy Active | ArtNetMon
mastablasta

Post by mastablasta »

I lost the manual for the LED's so im not completely sure, think they are 3528 SMD and for the decoder its a WS24LU3A
Dave Brown [admin]

Post by Dave Brown [admin] »

Do your LEDs work with the built-in effects of the WS24LU3A? (i.e. with no DMX cable connected)

Have you got the DMX data +/- connections on your controller the right way round?

Is the LED on the output side of your DMXIS box flashing? The two LEDs on the USB side of the DMXIS box should be on solid.

It's definitely worth trying a terminator.

If all that fails, you should probably get hold of a regular DMX fixture, to test that your DMXIS box is transmitting correctly.
Dave Brown - db audioware
Author of Show Buddy Setlist | Show Buddy Active | ArtNetMon
mastablasta

Post by mastablasta »

Yep lights work in FUN mode when plugged into the decoder and I have wired the dmx cable correctly. The two lights on the back of the DMXIS are solid and the one on the front is flashing. I dont have acces to any other dmx fixtures so ill just have to try the terminator.
brunobenetti1984

Post by brunobenetti1984 »

Hi, I am having the exact some problem and I was wondering how you where able to solve it? Everything is apparently well connected and FUN mode works perfectly, when I set the decoder in DMX mode (DIP number 10 OFF), the decoder dmx indicator flashes quickly indicating it is receiving the signal from DMXIS but nothing happens when I move sliders up, if I pull up all the sliders up at the same time the decoder dmx indicator stops flashing which means the decoder is not receiving signal anymore hence I can estimate that sliders in DMIXIS are affecting the decoder behavior somehow. Not sure how to continue trying things to solve this issue, besides getting myself a DMX light and trying it with DMXIS to make sure my DMXIS is working fine at least.

Thank you very much :)

Bruno