Show Buddy - Ableton Live Lite

Chat about Show Buddy Setlist show control software.
mrip23

Show Buddy - Ableton Live Lite

Post by mrip23 »

Hi, I have been using DMXIS & SHOW BUDDY for several months and its great. I have setlist on MP3 and each song is programmed with a light show.

Now my band is evolving, instead of running the gig from Show Buddy, i want to be able to use Ableton Live Lite and my M-Audio Midi keyboard controller to play some live parts, start & stop the tracks and my light shows play all correctly.

Is there a way i can transfer all my hard work to a file in Ableton? input the tracks, press play and it all work nicely?

thanks, IAN.
zerogravity

Re: Show Buddy - Ableton Live Lite

Post by zerogravity »

You've already done all the hard work. :)
You can export via showbuddy and drag and drop the exported midi file that showbuddy creates into Ableton.
I dont know about on a PC, but if you are on a mac, there is a little step in between to get it into Ableton correctly.
You have to open up another DAW like Logic Pro or similiar and resave midi file back out .
The problem is Showbuddy exports the bandk and preset list in 1 track. Use a DAW to seperate the midi file into 2 tracks via midi channel #, then re-eport as midi file from your DAW.

I've written Dave about this, but never heard a response.

Let me know if you need additional help :)
mrip23

Post by mrip23 »

Thanks bud, will have a go and let you know. it will be on a mac.
zerogravity

Post by zerogravity »

Cool.
What other DAW do you have?
mrip23

Post by mrip23 »

logic x and ableton live lite
zerogravity

Post by zerogravity »

Cool use Logic

Open the midi file that showbuddy exports

Drag onto logic, it will open file
Right click OR control click on the track and go to midi- sperate by midi channel
Then go to file menu, and export as midi file

In ableton, drag and drop in ableton, it will create 2 midi tracks. Assign the bank changes to ch 15, and preset track to 16

lemme know if you need help.

It goes super fast
mrip23

Post by mrip23 »

Great I will try tomorrow & let you know.
What do i do in Ableton if i want to run my set list. i.e 30 tracks.

I am getting fed up with all the scrolling and zooming in and out shit on the show library page and when i change the track listing or add a track too the show it all moves about etc and have to keep scrolling. Its a pain in the arse.
zerogravity

Post by zerogravity »

I agree about the scrolling! Do you have the plug-in "" follow " by isotonic studios?
In my opinion it's a must have for running your show in ableton
mrip23

Post by mrip23 »

No but i am interested in it though.

I am just getting to grips with Ablation as i bought a M-Audio CTRL49. I sing and play in an 80s synth band.

I built my backing tracks in Logic but want to run the show and play live together in Ableton as its less demanding on cpu than logic.
I also have MainStage
zerogravity

Post by zerogravity »

I do the exact same thing.
I use Ableton and Mainstage at the same time for live.
You'll get the hang of it, but buy isotonik studios "follow" you wont regret it

I suggest that you dont use the "return" track for DMSis in Ableton. setup 3 seperate midi tracks for it. One as "master" track with the DMXis plugin on it. Then one for bank changes, and one for presets and send those tracks to the "master" (routing above channel fader. I have found this works the best and is most flexible. You want to essential do what I have been doing for shows for a while. I have learned a lot from experience and time.
Dave Brown [admin]

Post by Dave Brown [admin] »

mrip23 wrote:m getting fed up with all the scrolling and zooming in and out shit on the show library page and when i change the track listing or add a track too the show it all moves about etc and have to keep scrolling. Its a pain in the arse.
Just disable auto-zoom by clicking the 'Z' key.
Dave Brown - db audioware
Author of Show Buddy Setlist | Show Buddy Active | ArtNetMon
mrip23

Post by mrip23 »

Thanks, I do that but when i drag new tracks to the set list it all jumps about. I don't see the point and its not very friendly.