Interesting Issue working on

cbroadway

Interesting Issue working on

Post by cbroadway »

Here is the environment:
1) MAC runs resolume, has HDMI to transmitter converter box, has CAT6 cable to receiver converter box, HDMI to projector
2) PC runs DMXIS software, USB to DMXIS USB-DMX Converter box, DMX cables run from that converter to a DMX hub, Out from DMX hub to lights

the only common "touch point" for both systems is that they are both connected to the computer network as any computer is.

Situation- Every now and then when a light is click on in DMXIS (midi signal through DMX), the projector that is showing the resolume image looses its signal and shows the default projector splash screen as if there is no resolume image being sent.

Question- Since the the only common element for these two separate systems is the computer network, is it possible that DMXIS is sending something, in addition to the midi signal through DMX, through the network causing the MAC to loose connection with the projector?

This one is a head scratcher.
JnTuneTech

Re: Interesting Issue working on

Post by JnTuneTech »

In general, I would recommend running one computer (or both) without the network connected, so as to clarify whether that is the connection point. But other than that, finding the "trigger" element that is shutting off resolume output, would seem to be the key. So, possibly a shared MIDI command being sent to both systems? -Just a thought. -Jn-
ChrisDuncan

Post by ChrisDuncan »

Your setup is the same as mine other than the fact that my Resolume box is a PC rather than Mac.

In my setup, I'm running Cubase and triggering Dmxis and / or DPro via a midi track. A second midi track is used to control what displays on Resolume. Of course, in order for that to work, I have to have a midi input on the Resolume box that's coming from a midi output on the Cubase (Dmxis) box. So, if I experienced this problem, the first thing I'd start debugging is what midi gets sent to the Resolume box.

You said the network was the only common touch point, but how are you controlling Resolume? Are you clicking something in Dmxis to fire a lighting scene, and then reaching over to Resolume and clicking something there to show video? Or do you have the two automated somehow, which seems the more likely scenario?
Christopher Duncan
Author of
Have Fun, Get Paid: How to Make a Living With Your Creativity
http://www.ChristopherDuncan.com
OUTLAW

Post by OUTLAW »

Look at powerfeeds too, maybe when your light is turning on it's spiking the power on youur Cat6-HDMI multiplexers and causing them to reset.
"if I'd have known I was gonna live this long Id have took better care of myself !!"
http://www.outlaw.fr
JeremyAtEnttec

Post by JeremyAtEnttec »

I don't think DMXIS is sending anything out on Ethernet, no. I'm not saying I've scoured the code, and can categorically deny it, but from what I've seen in 6 years of supporting it that's never come up in any way before, and it's not been talked about by the developer at all, so if it's happening it's a mystery to someone who should have known it was. There's always a first for everything, but I'd look elsewhere if you're trying to be efficient in your troubleshooting time.

Just wanting to make sure when you do solve this problem that you post back to this thread, because it IS a head-scratcher.

Jeremy
ChrisDuncan

Post by ChrisDuncan »

You know, after reading his description again, I realize I'd missed the HDMI converter part. If the projector is kicking over to the splash screen, that means it's not getting the HDMI signal. Since there's a chain of things between the video output of the Resolume computer and the projector, that's probably where the problem lies.

Since it doesn't happen every time he interacts with DMXIS, I'm thinking it's completely unrelated and there's something intermittent in the HDMI -> converter -> cat 6 -> converter -> HDMI -> projector chain. A bad cable, loose connection or problematic converter are much more likely culprits.

Of course, it's hard to debug further without the OP's interaction.
Christopher Duncan
Author of
Have Fun, Get Paid: How to Make a Living With Your Creativity
http://www.ChristopherDuncan.com