Multi-preset editing

Coverd

Multi-preset editing

Post by Coverd »

Hello one and all Image

Been a DMXIS user since late 2009 - cracking piece of kit all round Image

Have recently added a few new fixtures to the rig and need to get them integrated into the existing show. To do that, I have to set about editing what must be more than 1000 Presets (almost 100 Banks with +10 Presets in each).

Entering the values parrot fashion is of course an option, but it's going to take forever. I've already created a new 'End of Song' Preset and copied that into all folders via the 'Explorer / Finder' route, but naturally, that won't work for all the Presets in every Bank as they're each contain different blends of colours and movements etc

Discovering the 'Copy selected channels to Bank / all Banks' Macros was hugely encouraging though and I thought that might be a fantastic way to quickly get a default position for all the heads.... however, initial tests showed that any Oscillator settings get lost when pasting to any Channels which have such settings applied. Damn...

So, is there a way to get a default set of values added to all existing Presets without having to manually enter them all one by one..? A Macro option which retains any existing Oscillator settings that may already be applied to a Channel would be just the ticket... Image

Any thoughts..?

Clive
Coverd

Re: Multi-preset editing

Post by Coverd »

Just wondering - particularly after witnessing Dave's excellent Macro creation response to a similar request for someone on a different thread - whether there are any further thoughts on my query..?
Coverd wrote: A Macro option which retains any existing Oscillator settings that may already be applied to a Channel would be just the ticket... Image
Many thanks! :)
Dave Brown [admin]

Post by Dave Brown [admin] »

Here's the macro I think you're asking for - it's just a simplified version of the existing global macro you mentioned, but it only copies fader levels, leaving Oscillator & Sound Tracker settings untouched...

[duff macro removed - see below for revised version]

However, I'm really not sure how useful it will be. If you want to keep any current oscillator settings, you surely also want to keep the current Pan/Tilt position that goes with those oscillators?

Dave.
Dave Brown - db audioware
Author of Show Buddy Setlist | Show Buddy Active | ArtNetMon
Coverd

Post by Coverd »

Ah ha - thanks Dave!

Not tried it yet, but your final comment does indeed reflect what I was hoping for - the ability to make global, yet subtle tweaks to Pan & Tilt positions without affecting existing Oscillator settings is exactly what I was after!

I look forward to trying this out

Thanks again Image
JeremyAtEnttec

Post by JeremyAtEnttec »

So let's see if I understand the intent. The movement pattern is good, but the place where it's centered on isn't?
Coverd

Post by Coverd »

Yes, thats about the size of it Jeremy :)

It all started with adding some new fixtures. It's a simple enough process to 'copy selected channels to all banks & presets' to make a 'default' starting point for the new heads - so no problem there

Where things got more complicated was when I wanted to make tweaks to the existing fixtures and their corresponding commands which already I had programmed into 1000+ presets - without having to do each one manually!

Doing the 'copy selected channels to all banks & presets' thing for this would have been fine were it not for the fact that all the individual Oscillator settings automatically get reset in using that global Macro (yes, I backed up and tested it to find that out ;)) - Dave's new Macro appears to be just the ticket in retaining the Oscillator settings, but tweaking the starting positions - perfect! Image
Coverd

Post by Coverd »

Could I be so bold as to perhaps enquire about a further amendment Dave..? :?:

What would really cap this Macro off would be if I could 'Copy selected faders to all Presets & Banks' whilst retaining Oscillator settings - as we have now - but with the addition of the 'Channel Invert' position being globally copied and pasted too!

Come to that, a separate Macro specifically for copying Channel Inverts to all Presets & Banks would be fine too actually :)

Reason being that my +1000 scenes were programmed with 4 moving heads mounted upside-down and since adding the new fixtures, the moving heads are now sat the right way up, so sliding up on a fader results in a down movement etc - having a shortcut to flipping selected Channel Inverts across the board would be marvellous :D (reversing the tilt / pan functions on the moving head itself doesn't produce the overall result I'm after)

(I do appreciate this is getting quite bespoke and not necessarily something every user would want to be able to carry out - I guess this is largely due to having so many Presets done and then wanting to go back and amend them - starting from a blank page wouldn't really require such Macros)
Coverd

Post by Coverd »

In reference to the above, rather than an amendment to the 'Copy selected fader levels to all presets & banks' Macro, is there any chance a 'Copy selected Channel INVERT settings to all presets & banks' (but still leaves Oscillator settings untouched) Macro could be made..?

I need to make that change to the +1000 presets over the next couple days - such a Macro could be a massive time saver for me! Image
Dave Brown [admin]

Post by Dave Brown [admin] »

OK, here's a modified macro that copies the selected fader levels & invert settings to all banks/presets:
And zero points to the 8 downloaders who failed to notice that version 1 of macro above didn't actually work ;)

Dave.
Dave Brown - db audioware
Author of Show Buddy Setlist | Show Buddy Active | ArtNetMon
Coverd

Post by Coverd »

Outstanding service yet again Dave - thanks very much! :)

Oh and yes, I may well have discovered the duff version once I had gotten around to actually trying... :lol:
ozzie

Post by ozzie »

Does this macro work for just the presets in the current bank or is it applied to all presets in all banks?