Naming Channels

wbronson

Naming Channels

Post by wbronson »

Hello everyone. I am new here so I apologize if this has already been discussed. I tried to search but could not find an answer.

In the demo videos it appears as though some of the channels on the slider board have a name that has been given to them. How do I do this? I can click on the number and it open a box that can be adjusted but no way to assign a channel name that I can find.
JeremyAtEnttec

Re: Naming Channels

Post by JeremyAtEnttec »

Right Click on the fader handle and then choose "Rename Fixture".
robare99

Post by robare99 »

If you mean under the slider, that's put in there when you create a fixture with the fixture editor.
JeremyAtEnttec

Post by JeremyAtEnttec »

Well, to generalize a little more, the names underneath the faders are put there when you patch a fixture there. It may be one that already existed or that you got from the online library, or that you made yourself. Any of these will do the job.
ChrisDuncan

Post by ChrisDuncan »

Here's another trick that you might find useful.

For me, it was visually distracting to see Par Front 1 (dmx channels). I wanted to quickly see the name of the fixture, but having the channels appended to the name, which the system automatically does, added visual clutter that made it less friendly from an "at a glance" perspective.

To change it so that the name appeared to stand alone, I simply appended 8 spaces, with a period at the end. So, the name "Par Front 1" became "Par Front 1 ." Now each fixture's name stands alone, and off to the right I can see the DMX channels. (Dave, if you're listening, would dearly love the option to not display the appended channels at all once you have more important matters completed).

Anyway, that made the screens much more readable, so I thought I'd pass it along.
Christopher Duncan
Author of
Have Fun, Get Paid: How to Make a Living With Your Creativity
http://www.ChristopherDuncan.com
Dave Brown [admin]

Post by Dave Brown [admin] »

ChrisDuncan wrote:(Dave, if you're listening, would dearly love the option to not display the appended channels at all once you have more important matters completed).
The 1.4.0 release (available in beta form from dmxis.com/download) is much improved when it comes to displaying fixture names & strings - in general, strings now resize to fit the available space, and I've removed the channel range appended to a fixture name.
Dave Brown - db audioware
Author of Show Buddy Setlist | Show Buddy Active | ArtNetMon
ChrisDuncan

Post by ChrisDuncan »

Dave Brown [admin] wrote:The 1.4.0 release (available in beta form from dmxis.com/download) is much improved when it comes to displaying fixture names & strings - in general, strings now resize to fit the available space, and I've removed the channel range appended to a fixture name.
That's awesome, man. Particularly since I know you've had your hands full with the 64 bit architecture.
Christopher Duncan
Author of
Have Fun, Get Paid: How to Make a Living With Your Creativity
http://www.ChristopherDuncan.com
stentor

Post by stentor »

I have a small 4 ch dimmer.

I would like to name the channels by what I have plugged in.

Is there a quick way to change "ch1" to Yellow Light? "ch 4" to fan?