High resolution DMX channel / fades?

Chat relating to fixtures.dmxis.com, the fixture editor for all our lighting products.
gabrielrey

High resolution DMX channel / fades?

Post by gabrielrey »

I will be using a dimmer board that can combine two incoming DMX channels into a single, high-resolution (16-bit) DMX channel. The board has up to 4096 dimming levels for controlling the lights, which I'd like to take advantage of. Here's the board I'm talking about:
http://www.celestialaudio.com/ca_dmx_32_V2_nfet/

And here's what it says about the high resolution mode:
The "16 bit DMX" DIPswitch is normally OFF. For finest dimming control possible (such as from a computer) this can be turned ON, and the board combines two DMX channels (8bits & 8bits) to create one 16-bit dimming channel so you can set the brightness to 4096 (12-bit) different levels.
I'm wondering if the DMXIS software and hardware can send high resolution fades in this way? It seems like it might be possible to create a profile for my dimmer board in the fixture editor that would take advantage of this high resolution mode? I see high resolution pan/tilt options, but no high resolution dimmer option. Would I be able create fades in my sequencer (Ableton) that actually are high resolution and are output as such?
Dave Brown [admin]

Re: High resolution DMX channel / fades?

Post by Dave Brown [admin] »

In DMXIS, you can't control a 16 bit property from a single fader. Instead, you will see two adjacent faders in DMXIS labelled e.g. "Dim" and "Dim Fine". So, you can make manual coarse & fine adjustments by operating the two faders, but you cannot automatically execute a 16 bit resolution crossfade in Ableton.

(In any case, Ableton itself is limited to 7-bit MIDI resolution, as it does not support the sending of 14-bit NRPN messages to plugins like DMXIS)
Dave Brown - db audioware
Author of Show Buddy Setlist | Show Buddy Active | ArtNetMon