Newbie Questions

Chat about Show Buddy Active lighting & video control software
Gee

Newbie Questions

Post by Gee »

Just bought Showbuddy and Setlist and i just have a few questions for more experienced users.

1) DMXIS does not recognize my USB Pro - any ideas? Showbuddy does, EMU does...
2) I lost 90% of the effects when I switched from the demo to the licensed version?
3) Some of my lights will automate when I do a mock show some will not - the software does have manual control tho. Clue me in?
4) How do i move a light on the "playfield" that has 22 channels all laid out as separate lights. If I put a box around them to move them into place I only get the ability to skew the angle..

I've made a lot of headway without have to ask too many questions - but these are holding me up...

Thanks in advance.
Dave Brown [admin]

Re: Newbie Questions

Post by Dave Brown [admin] »

1) DMXIS does not recognize my USB Pro - any ideas?
The DMXIS software only works with the blue DMXIS interface box. Note also that DMXIS is now discontinued and out of support. I highly recommend you ignore it and use your Show Buddy Active license instead.
2) I lost 90% of the effects when I switched from the demo to the licensed version?
If you bought a standard Show Buddy Active license, you can't import video files or open the video window. All other features remains intact.
3) Some of my lights will automate when I do a mock show some will not - the software does have manual control tho. Clue me in?
That's difficult to answer without a concrete example. Can you provide more detail or send me a screenshot showing the issue?
4) How do i move a light on the "playfield" that has 22 channels all laid out as separate lights. If I put a box around them to move them into place I only get the ability to skew the angle..
Again, I'd need an actual example or screenshot showing the issue. It's most likely to be down to a problem with the fixture definition you are using.

Have you checked out these basic tutorial videos? They are designed to get you up & running as quickly as possible:
https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRLF ... C0KCZdx5Az
Dave Brown - db audioware
Author of Show Buddy Setlist | Show Buddy Active | ArtNetMon
Gee

Post by Gee »

Thanks for the reply - let's start with the easiest ones. When I was toying with the demo it seemed I had a lot more presets. Now I only have searchlights, random down, Search B and Floor scanners. Shouldn't there be more presets? I went back to one of the demo programs I got the error message in screenshot 3..

The 1st and 2nd screenshots show the fixture I am attempting in full to move to the "front of the stage". It is made up of 12 individual lights in one fixture (bar wash). I can skew it - but I can't move it's position...

Thanks on the DMXIS question - got it.

I will pose the last question again with a screenshots when I get a chance.

Thanks again...
Attachments
SB3.png
SB2.png
SB1.png
Dave Brown [admin]

Gee wrote: Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:26 pmWhen I was toying with the demo it seemed I had a lot more presets. Now I only have searchlights, random down, Search B and Floor scanners. Shouldn't there be more presets?
The demo comes with two example shows, accessed from the "Manage Shows" window...
  • "Sample Show" demonstrates a range of basic lighting presets, video presets, and some more advanced pixel-mapped presets.
  • "Sample 3D Beams" demonstrates some moving head presets in the visualiser
These sample shows are only meant to demonstrate the capabilities of the software. When designing your own production, you should start with a completely empty show, patch your fixtures, position them in the visualiser to match your stage, then create a bunch of your own presets from scratch.
The 1st and 2nd screenshots show the fixture I am attempting in full to move to the "front of the stage". It is made up of 12 individual lights in one fixture (bar wash). I can skew it - but I can't move it's position...
This video (from the YouTube playlist posted above) shows you how to lay out your fixtures in the visualiser...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zyt9vJfrHlg
Dave Brown [admin]

Regarding your third screenshot (the error on Show Buddy Setlist) I recommend you first get comfortable creating some nice lighting presets in Show Buddy Active. Then turn your attention to Show Buddy Setlist, where you can synchronise your lighting presets to your audio tracks.

You might find the following video useful. It explains the basic workflow of Show Buddy Setlist. (The video uses DMXIS for lighting control, but the workflow is identical when using Show Buddy Active for the lighting)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RO_HaBI7Wos
Gee

Post by Gee »

Thanks - this helps!

-George