multiple tracks in ableton?

BryanE

multiple tracks in ableton?

Post by BryanE »

Is it possible to run DMXIS as a plugin on multiple tracks in Ableton... for example, let's say I created a bank for a song, and I set it up to where I had presets running pars and presets for lasers... can I have 2 midi tracks with the DMXis plugin... one triggering laser presets and one triggers par presets?

Maybe a better way of asking the question... I would like to have a midi track for each "type" of light, is that possible?
Dave Brown [admin]

Re: multiple tracks in ableton?

Post by Dave Brown [admin] »

You should only have one instance of DMXIS running in Ableton (in a return track or in the master FX rack).

For independent control over separate lights (or groups of lights) use DMXIS masked presets (Macros > Channel Masks). With a masked preset, only enabled channels are transmitted - all other channels remain at their current value.

This article shows how to use DMXIS masked presets in Show Buddy, but the principle is the same for a host like Abeton.
Dave Brown - db audioware
Author of Show Buddy Setlist | Show Buddy Active | ArtNetMon
zerogravity

Post by zerogravity »

Bryan-
I am now using 1 instance of DMXis on a single midi track in Ableton (not return FX, regular track)
I then have 2 seperate midi tracks, one for banks and one for presets, those outputs are routed to the main DMXis track on channels 15 and 16. I have done some experiments doing what you want to do and it works fine.
BryanE

Post by BryanE »

okay, and just curious, is there a way you run 2 presets at the same time?
zerogravity

Post by zerogravity »

negative on 2 presets, you can quickly fire multiple presets at the same time if thats what you mean
BryanE

Post by BryanE »

Like if I had one preset that did lasers, and another preset that did par cans, could I click on both midi notes to trigger both presets at the same time?
zerogravity

Post by zerogravity »

I believe so. You might have to slightly offset, but check with Dave on that.
BryanE

Post by BryanE »

Thank you for your help. I'm completely new to Ableton and DMXIS but I'm excited about the possibility of using it for our live shows. We are trying to find a solution that can trigger audio, video, and DMX, which I believe can all be done with Ableton and DMXIS... one thing I'm trying to figure out is... after we have all of our songs set with DMX... is a way to trigger songs quickly without having scroll to find them or open them. We don't do our live performances in a particular order. We decide which songs we are doing on the fly, so it would be nice to have some type of way to trigger any particular song with a button. Is that possible? I appreciate your help!
zerogravity

Post by zerogravity »

yes, hit the midi assign button in the upper right corrner and click on your scene "song" and assign a keyboard, footswitch etc to start song.
BryanE

Post by BryanE »

Thank you very much!

Still hoping Dave can let us know about running 2 presets at the same time.
zerogravity

Post by zerogravity »

You can. You just might have to ever so slightly offset them. It used to be 5ms apart, but it might be smaller now. Check the release notes. I might recall Dave fixing that.
Daves suggestion above in conjunction w what I said will work great! Masking is the key to success.
Dave Brown [admin]

You can load multiple presets simultaneously IF they are all in the same bank.

To load presets from different banks, you need to space out the MIDI notes a fraction.
BryanE

Post by BryanE »

Thank you Dave. If I have 2 presets trigger and accidentally don't mask some of the channels and some of the channels conflict, which one will override? Thank you for your time!
Dave Brown [admin]

BryanE wrote:Thank you Dave. If I have 2 presets trigger and accidentally don't mask some of the channels and some of the channels conflict, which one will override? Thank you for your time!
The most recently received preset will override. Even when you transmit two presets 'simultaneously' from Ableton, they are actually transmitted to DMXIS as a list of MIDI events. It depends how Ableton sorts those 'simultaneous' events into the list.
leomozoloa

Post by leomozoloa »

Hello ! Sorry I know this is a very old post, but do any of you know what's the lowest delay dmxis is accept between bank+ preset changes ? Trying to offset channels in ableton so I can trigger multiple presets from different banks at the same time, but I'd like to use 4 banks and I'm afraid 5ms each will lead to a noticeable lag on the last one (15ms)