Studio One 5 what is 'Preset'?

RichG

Studio One 5 what is 'Preset'?

Post by RichG »

I'm just getting started with using DMXIS in Studio One 5. I'm able to set up an instrument track and change Banks & Presets in DMXIS through PC and Not ON messages. All good so far.

When I have the DMXIS window open and click on different Banks and Presets while recording, The track records a 'Preset' event. I can edit these in the 'Preset' section of the track editor. What is 'Preset'? it's not Midi- I tried sending the data to MidiOx, but I didn't see anything. The Notes and PC events show up just fine.

Also, If I grab faders and move them, it will record that motion in the track... but only one fader at a time. If I select multiple faders, only one is recorded.

My goal is to export a Midi track so it can be played back by another program.
Dave Brown [admin]

Re: Studio One 5 what is 'Preset'?

Post by Dave Brown [admin] »

I don't have any experience with Studio One, but I'm guessing that "Preset" in this context means "VST preset".

The DMXIS plug-in adheres to the full VST standard. Whenever you click on the preset list, it issues a VST preset change request to the host. That's what Studio One will see, and can optionally record as VST automation. Equally, you can record movement of any DMXIS control as VST automation (as an alternative to using MIDI Learn).

This VST preset mechanism is separate from the MIDI mechanism for switching presets (which is a custom DMXIS feature)
Dave Brown - db audioware
Author of Show Buddy Setlist | Show Buddy Active | ArtNetMon
RichG

Re: Studio One 5 what is 'Preset'?

Post by RichG »

I see. That makes sense that it's recording the VST automation. Here's a track where I used Note ON msgs to change presets, then recorded while moving some different faders. It recorded the faders one at a time... meaning I wasn't able to select multiple faders at once. I had to dub over each fader individually.
DMXIS-InstTrk.png