Cues assigned to Cues

zorpiedoman

Cues assigned to Cues

Post by zorpiedoman »

Dave,

I'm glad to see you do read these forums. I wish you would reply to my many requests. Here's one more.

I wish I could make a cue that is a combination of other cues.

I have lots of cues built for different areas of the stage. For example "Band" "Cabin" "Forest" but if I want a cue that uses my Amber Cabin cue combined with my Red and Blue Band cue, I have to create a whole new cue to do that...

Any work around or can this get added to the wish list?

-John
Dave Brown [admin]

Re: Cues assigned to Cues

Post by Dave Brown [admin] »

Save your "partial" cues as palletes, then drag those palettes into your "complete" cues.
Dave Brown - db audioware
Author of Show Buddy Setlist | Show Buddy Active | ArtNetMon
zorpiedoman

Post by zorpiedoman »

I found *kind of* a work around.

I can create a palette that is specific to certain colors and certain groups. Then I can make a cue made up of one or more of these palettes. Doing this I lose the ability to use a palette which simply defines a color as the color. Again, the inability to build an element on the same type of element.

Palette that could be built using other palettes
or
Cues that could be built using other cues

Either of these (or both) would allow for the most re-usable and time saving tools for building shows based on existing shows.

-John
zorpiedoman

Post by zorpiedoman »

Dave,

Our replies crossed... I found the same solution you just offered. It works with one exception - you cannot use a color palette to build a fixture palette. Thank you!

Another reason this type of show building would be really helpful is when I want to go into a theater and just plug into their lighting system rather than bring my own. If I create and only use in my cues and never select specific fixtures...

The theater could provide a list of their fixtures and if I build everything right with re-usable groups, cues, and palettes I would only have to:

1. Copy my show to a new venue-specific file.
2. Rebuild the fixture map (patches) to match their DMX addresses.
3. Tell them where to point the lights to match my physical layout design
4. Assign the appropriate fixtures to my groups.

And I'd be done. This could get repeated for multiple venues and my life just got a WHOLE lot easier!

If that doesn't make sense, let me know.

-John