MIDI export length

Chat about Show Buddy Setlist show control software.
sapian

MIDI export length

Post by sapian »

Ive been using Showbuddy for years and am now investigating using Abelton so I can take advantage of mixing tracks. I'm having problems with the imported MIDI files (after converting them to type 1 files with separate ch15 and 16 tracks) having different lengths. I.E. the first and last MIDI cues no longer match the points in the audio and I have to stretch them to get them to line up, a pain. Warping doesn't effect it, nor is it the conversion in MidiKit, as the original type 0 files have the same problem. Any Ideas? kinda maddening. Thanks!
Dave Brown [admin]

Re: MIDI export length

Post by Dave Brown [admin] »

Show Buddy exports MIDI files at 960ppqn resolution, and with the tempo you set in the lightshow edit screen. If the host ppqn or tempo are not identical, the MIDI events won't line up correctly.
Dave Brown - db audioware
Author of Show Buddy Setlist | Show Buddy Active | ArtNetMon
sapian

Post by sapian »

Excellent! Thanks Dave
sapian

Post by sapian »

Spoke too soon! That made sense as tempo was incorrect in my test lightshow (120 instead of proper 127)
However whatever I set it at in the edit screen, it makes no difference, they are all coming up as 120 in MIDI kit where I do the conversion to a type 1 file for Abelton. And still have different length between audio clip (from Showbuddy Media folder) and MIDI track....stumped
Dave Brown [admin]

Post by Dave Brown [admin] »

Upon investigation, tempo was not being saved properly in the exported MIDI file.

I have fixed this in the new Show Buddy Setlist 1.8.1 beta, freely available here. You can now also modify the ppqn resolution of exported files from the Preferences window.
Dave Brown - db audioware
Author of Show Buddy Setlist | Show Buddy Active | ArtNetMon