DMXIS not working as AU instrument on Catalina

adamfresk

DMXIS not working as AU instrument on Catalina

Post by adamfresk »

I only recently updated my MacBook to Catalina. I´ve been holding it off for fear that plugins, DAW´s and so on would stop working, but finally decided to give it a go. Catalina´s been around long enough now for it to have been replaced by yet another, even more major update (Big Sur).

Everything seemed to be working.

Until i Actually plugged in my lighting.

DMXIS works as standalone, it seems. At least as far as I´ve been able to try it out "manually" by pulling the faders up and down, resulting in the expected response from the lights.

But as soon as I involve a DAW or any kind of MIDI...not so much. It hangs, flickers, the moving heads make weird, jerky movements, the fixtures stop responding to the faders, and so on.

Googling basically doesn´t help. No big, official reports to be found on major issues. Pretty much the odd issue here and there, and the threads I´ve read get technical very fast, way beyond my ability to even decode any meaning out of.

I´m a musician rather than a computer hacker. I just want stuff to work, Programming the light shows takes enough time as it is.

Any tips?

/Adam
adamfresk

Re: DMXIS not working as AU instrument on Catalina

Post by adamfresk »

Ha ha...actually, never mind.

Or...not "never mind", but I seem to have found the problem. Strange one, though.

It seems that somehow, related to the update process (I can´t imagine what else might have caused it since everything was back to normal when I tried starting up from an external SSD where I had backed up my old OSX), a random number of scenes in most banks had had their fade times set to 30, the absolute maximum. Completely haphazardly. So when trying to play through the scenes, every other fade time being set to several minutes (or whatever "30" stands for), things got pretty messed up.

I reset all fade times, which took perhaps 10 minutes, and now everything works as it should again. Fingers crossed, I suppose I should say.

Well...I´ll keep this here in case the same thing happens to someone else. Maybe the information will be of use.

/Adam