DMXIS Help (Midi 15/16)

Krecklore

DMXIS Help (Midi 15/16)

Post by Krecklore »

Well met all,

I am a volunteering my time at a local church. We've recently upgraded a lot of computers and hardware to support live streaming. One of the computers, that controlled our lights with the Proclaim (Church Slides/Presentation) application, is having trouble. Before the change, Proclaim could talk with DMXIS via Midi with Channel 15 (Bank) / 16 (Preset) and change them accordingly. We would set our lighting presets with DMXIS, and Proclaim would change the lights. We don't have anything terribly fancy, no strobing effects, no flashing lights, it's just static lighting, 2 colors displaying.

Now it seems, I cannot for the life of me, get DMXIS to change the Bank/Preset from a NoteON 15/16 channel broadcast from Midi to save my life. I've tried downloading Midi Monitoring to see things, I've tried other Virtual Midi programs. It's not a terrible deal breaker, as I can just manually change the preset when the song change, but I'm trying to get as much of the church back to the way it was before the upgrade.

Any advice or help would be most excellent. I can also provide additional information if needed.

I am running DMXIS Standalone v1.7. My presets and banks are all set, and I can create presets all day long no problem. MIDI Channels just won't change the presets.
Last edited by Krecklore on Sat Jun 13, 2020 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RichG

Re: DMXIS Help (Midi 15/16)

Post by RichG »

Check File|Preferences|Audio/MIDI Settings|Active MIDI inputs.

Make sure the correct input is selected.
Krecklore

Post by Krecklore »

I made sure the correct midi device was selected. I've tried various virtual midi programs. The most common is loopmidi.
RichG

Post by RichG »

When you use something like MidiOx, does it show midi messages are being sent to that device?

Program Change and Bank Select LSB messages are also recognized by DMXIS in omni (any channel, not just 15 or 16) mode.

Try sending msg 0xC0 0x01 to select the second Preset in the current Bank.

Then send msg 0xB0 0x20 0x02 to select the third Bank.

(Of course, I'm assuming those Presets and Banks exist)

Wait a sec... Just reread your initial post. You're sending Note Off (0x8e / 0x8f) messages? Bank and Preset changes occur with Note On (0x9e / 0x9f) messages.
Krecklore

Post by Krecklore »

I'm sorry Rich. I made a typo in my initial post, I meant to say NoteON, I provided a screenshot of what I was working on. Please note that it DOES say the device isn't ready (that's because I'm on the program now, but on my home computer, to show how it's setup)
The attachment Midi 2.jpg is no longer available
Midi 2.jpg
Midi 2.jpg (65.69 KiB) Viewed 5179 times
Krecklore

Post by Krecklore »

Midi 1.jpg
Midi 1.jpg (12.5 KiB) Viewed 5179 times
RichG

Post by RichG »

Check File|Preferences|Audio/MIDI Settings|Input

It should be set to Microphone or something like that.

If it is set to << none >> then midi doesn't work... nor do any of the oscillators.
Krecklore

Post by Krecklore »

Woah. Really? So MIDI (virtual) doesn't work if there isn't sound to be had for input? I'll have to give that a try, I'll let you know the results.
Krecklore

Post by Krecklore »

RichG,

Thank you so much for your help. The audio input trick worked. I just had to make sure my inputs for audio and Midi were the same on the other end. Now I can control the lighting/slides together as one again.

Many thanks to you.
RichG

Post by RichG »

Krecklore wrote: Sun Jun 14, 2020 1:58 am Many thanks to you.
You're welcome. Glad you got it working. :)

Not really sure why an audio input needs to be specified for Midi and Oscillators to work. Perhaps there should be a note in the Preferences window that states "Setting Input to << none >> will disable oscillators and midi".