More newbie Midi Questions - bank and preset changes

AndyP

More newbie Midi Questions - bank and preset changes

Post by AndyP »

I don't even have my DMXIS yet, it's in the post... but I want to get ahead of the game and learn as much as I can first.

In the manual, it mentions using midi notes on Ch15 and Ch16 to switch between banks and presets, but I can't see anywhere where it describes this in more detail. Am I missing a tutorial somewhere?
My first questions are:
1. Can I use midi notes on/off to simply STEP through banks and presets, in the order they appear on screen?
2. Can I use midi notes on/off to SELECT and load a particular preset? (i.e. in any order I choose) I'm sure I've seen this done on one of the YouTube videos.
3. If I can also do #2 for banks, what happens? Does the live state of the lamps stay the same until I change a preset too?

4. In all of the above WHICH midi notes? I don't see a chart anywhere.

Help please :-)
NCN

Re: More newbie Midi Questions - bank and preset changes

Post by NCN »

Both the bank and the preset list work the same way ... banks on CH 15 and presets on CH 16.

The first item in either list is position "0", the second "1, and so on.

The position corresponds to the MIDI note needed to select it ... but of course just to confuse you position "0" is Note "1", position 1 is Note "2", etc. because the binary code for a MIDI Note is one less than the "human" code.

That's the technical relationship if you are dealing with the actual binary MIDI messages. If you don't really need to think about the actual MIDI codes, then you can simplify your life by considering the first position in either list to be position "1" selected by Note "1", the next as position "2" selected by Note "2", etc.

The general idea is to send two notes: one on 15 to select the bank and a second on 16 to select the preset. That's the safe way. If you're really really sure the bank hasn't changed between presets you can step through the bank's presets by successive MIDI notes on CH 16 alone. Oh, and I think the Notes should have non-zero velocity (likely the case).

Don't worry; it drives everybody nuts.
AndyP

Post by AndyP »

Thank you! Why couldn't they put that in the manual????
How about the next and previous buttons? I guess those are set up using midi learn (right click)?
NCN

Post by NCN »

Yes, and I think the presets execute as you step thru them.
NCN

Post by NCN »

I looked at some of my previous posts to recollect that there is another way to change banks and presets. I use this method when I programmatically change presets at a very high speed.

It turns out that CC32 will change banks using ANY MIDI channel...so you don't have to care about CH15. Just issue CC32 with value 0-thru-127 to change to bank 1-thru-128.

Similarly, the PC (Program Change) command changes presets within the bank. Again, the value is 0-thru-127 for presets 1-thru-128.
AndyP

Post by AndyP »

Excellent stuff, thanks again!