Shape Macros and Moving Heads

Chat about Show Buddy Active lighting & video control software
xclusiveimage

Shape Macros and Moving Heads

Post by xclusiveimage »

Hello!

I have (4)Chauvet Intimidator Spot 260's and Show Buddy Active. When I use the shape macros (e.g. Circle), the heads don't move smoothly, but with a slightly stepped motion. Is there a way to smooth this out? I've tried several different setting combinations with no luck so I figured I'd ask the group/Dave :)

Cheers!

Tommy
RichG

Re: Shape Macros and Moving Heads

Post by RichG »

It could be how the fixture itself responds to commands. I have several Intimidator Spot 255 IRC's and they can be jerky at times. Also, when moving in a circle (or any other shape for that matter), the DMX commands are discrete values somewhere between 0 and 255. Fixtures tend to 'jump' from one value to the next because that's what they were told to do by the DMX command.

Try adjusting the pan/tilt speed channel for the fixture. It can be used to smooth out the response.

Also, the Fixture's Pan and Tilt angle settings can make a difference in resolution. If the Pan Angle is set to 540, then DMX values 0 to 255 correspond to 0 to 540 degrees of movement... and thus the smallest increment is 2.11 (540/255) degrees. If the angle setting is 180, then the smallest increment is 0.71 (180/255) degrees. The more movement resolution there is, the less choppy the movement will be.