DMXIS with Ableton - Newbie Help Request

drummeric

DMXIS with Ableton - Newbie Help Request

Post by drummeric »

I cannot get Ableton to find DMXIS in order to use it as a VST or Plugin. I'm no expert in Ableton, but have been using it for years running backing tracks with my band. I had tried using MyDMX 3.0 with Ableton and it 'worked', but not reliably so I've moved on from it. I decided to purchase DMXIS after reading reviews and seeing tutorials of people running it with Ableton, but now that I have it, I'm completely lost.

I feel kind of stupid even asking this, but HOW do I get a working setup between Ableton and DMXIS? I'm running them on a Macbook Pro - latest OS/configuration. I intend to run DMXIS via automation in Ableton. BUT I am not against simply having Ableton send a MIDI note to trigger lighting presets. But I can't do any of it without first being able to import DMXIS as a VST or Plugin, and I can't figure out how to do so.

Other posts have mentioned various things to try, and I read in one that DMXIS automatically gets loaded into a folder that Ableton can see. But I assure you this is not the case in my situation right now. It's loaded as an app on my MBP that I can launch, but I can't see it from Ableton at all.

Any help is VERY appreciated, and I thank you in advance for your time!
Steve E

Re: DMXIS with Ableton - Newbie Help Request

Post by Steve E »

Hi Drummeric - I do not use Mac or Ableton, however when I installed DMXIS on my PC it asked for me to locate my VST folder to install the DMXIS plugin. Do you recall that happening? I know on my PC there are a few locations that I have VST plugins installed, so I wonder whether DMXIS installed the plugin in a folder that your copy of Ableton is not scanning (or perhaps it simply was not installed at all)?
drummeric

Post by drummeric »

I can't find DMXIS as a plugin at all. I have the app that I can launch separately, but nothing in the form of a plugin that Ableton can see. Did I miss a step in downloading the software? Or is there a version of the software that I missed? I used the 1.6.3 installer for mac.

If I continue having this issue, can you explain a way that I might simply run both Ableton and DMXIS apps at the same time on the same machine and have Ableton trigger scenes in DMXIS via midi? Is there a setting within DMXIS I need to set in order to accomplish this? I'm familiar with the process on Ableton's side.
Steve E

Post by Steve E »

Look for a folder titled 'Enttec' rather than 'DMXIS' in your VST folder.

You can control the standalone DMXIS via midi from your DAW however you will probably need midi loop software (i.e., virtual midi port software). As I do not MAC I am unsure what a good freebie is for your system. In the DAW you set the MIDI OUT to the virtual midi port software's IN and then in DMXIS you set your MIDI IN port to the virtual midi port software's OUT (in DMXIS you are looking for: File | Prefernces | Audio/MIDI Settings).
drummeric

Post by drummeric »

I appreciate the help, thank you. I'm still unable to get it setup. No Enttec folder. Frustrating as I can make it work with other programs - just not reliably. But at least Ableton sees those other apps. I'm going to try reinstalling when I have more time.
Dave Brown [admin]

Post by Dave Brown [admin] »

The DMXIS installer puts the VST and Audio Unit plug-ins in the standard Mac system folders:
  • /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/VST/ENTTEC
  • /Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/Components
In the "Plug-Ins" tab of Ableton Preferences, make sure that "Use VST2 Plug-In System Folders" and "Use Audio Units" are both enabled. Then, the DMXIS plug-ins will be available in the Ableton "Plug-Ins" browser, for dragging into your tracks.
Dave Brown - db audioware
Author of Show Buddy Setlist | Show Buddy Active | ArtNetMon