Fog-machine on/off

Chat about Show Buddy Active lighting & video control software
Warburger

Fog-machine on/off

Post by Warburger »

Hi there
Is there an intelligent way in the SBA to turn on a fog machine in a preset, ex after 20 seconds, and turn it off again after ex 22 seconds, in a single preset?
xv28901

Re: Fog-machine on/off

Post by xv28901 »

Hi,

i have a bank only for the fog machines, all presets are masked (only the channels for the fog machines are enabled).
Here I have presets with full fog, with medium fog and without fog. You could use a preset with an oscillator for your purpose (Type Square, Amount 100%, Speed ​​8 Bar). Requirement: All other presets have deactivated the fog machine channels!

Regards
Warburger

Post by Warburger »

Hi
And thank you so much for your answer!
I have not come far with channel masks, but its, of course, the closest solution, and you have gently pushed me on!
My solution is an appropriate amount of extra preset, with haze in all banks. It works fine when I code in SBS, but it's a bit heavy to process live. Also with Ipad/ToushOSC.
Maybe I should use the foot pedal for the machine until I get coded all the essential tracks.
Thanks again!
RichG

Post by RichG »

The solution of having a fog control preset with all other presets having the Fog channel disabled will work nicely. Keep in mind the Speed, Shape, and Tempo will affect the results.

For example, if Speed is 1 bar, Shape is 25% and Tempo is 60 bpm, then Fog will be on for one second then off for three seconds repeating. Setting the Speed to 2 bars and Shape to 12.5% (keep at 60 bpm) will turn on Fog for one second and off for 7.

The formula for fog ON time in seconds would then be:

ON Time = 2.4 * Bar * Shape / BPM

The Total Cycle Time is:

Cycle Time = 240 * Bar / BPM

I use a Midi CC for Fog control. Midi messages are sent to DMXIS through a dedicated Android phone running Lemur. I have a pretty elaborate "Filling Tank" programmed into the app. This way it can be triggered ON for a few seconds, but then wait a few minutes before triggering it again. This prevents the fog from filling the room. The app also has an Auto mode where it will give a 3 second burst every 15 minutes or so.
xv28901

Post by xv28901 »

Warburger wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 9:41 pm Maybe I should use the foot pedal for the machine until I get coded all the essential tracks.
The macro "Global Edits / Copy selected channels to all ..." is very helpful for me:
This means that even large collections of presets can be changed quickly.
Warburger

Post by Warburger »

Hi
These are two really good tips! I'm also in the process of identifying the use of the Show Buddy setlist, but it takes time, so my solution here and now is manual control with TouchOSC, and foot pedal, almost hands-free. I get 3-5 seconds fog with oscillator square, speed 3 bar, amount 75%, shape 53% on every preset copies with fog.
I must subsequently learn to use masks!
Thank you for your time and good inspiration!

Regards