Multiple Universe Interface

Chat about Show Buddy Active lighting & video control software
joel77

Multiple Universe Interface

Post by joel77 »

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has ideas on which multiple universe USB interfaces, work with Show Buddy Active? I've looked for a list of interfaces that work, but couldn't find anything. Currently researching Enttec's DMX USB Pro Mk2. Would like to know if it works with SBA before purchasing.

Is there a reason I should consider ArtNet?

I'm going to upgrade from DMXIS to SBA and would love to take advantage of having 2 universes available. Currently running Enttec's DMXIS controller.

TIA,

Joel
RichG

Re: Multiple Universe Interface

Post by RichG »

A 2 universe interface to consider is the Chauvet DMX-AN2.

I actually have one and SBA... but have been waiting (over a year now) for the next version of SBA to be released before moving from DMXIS to SBA. That being said, I can't positively say if it works with SBA or not because I haven't tried it- however, I see no reason why it would not work with SBA.

As for reasons to consider ArtNet, there's a whole list HERE.

Something I like about ArtNet compared to DMX is that there are several tools available that let you monitor ArtNet data- one example is ArtNetMon available HERE.
joel77

Post by joel77 »

Thanks Rich, much appreciated.

May I ask why you're waiting to upgrade to SBA? Are there some new features coming? Have to admit that I haven't been on the forum much in the last year. DMXIS has been working well for me, even though there are features that I never have gotten to work (ie, Tap Tempo). I spend more time building and redesigning my TouchOSC layouts. I'm an audio guy doing lighting, so there is much that is new to me.

I just downloaded the demo yesterday, so I haven't had a chance to do more than start entering my lights into a show. There are definitely some things I like better, but I'll need quite a bit more time with it before I decide whether to upgrade now or wait.

Joel
RichG

Post by RichG »

joel77 wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 8:05 pm May I ask why you're waiting to upgrade to SBA?

I used SBA for a few weeks at home after getting it. I ran into a few minor bugs here and there. It was enough for me to stick with DMXIS.

DMXIS is working for me at the moment. I like the improved layout of SBA, but feature-wise for my setup (no video screens) DMXIS and SBA are about equal. If SBA adds some new features that set it apart from DMXIS then I'll jump over.

Another concern I have is my hardware. I'm running DMXIS on an old small laptop. It takes about 10% CPU to run DMXIS. SBA takes about 30% CPU. I'm concerned about the laptop keeping up without overheating or getting bogged down.
Are there some new features coming?
Not that I know if. Back when I was playing around with SBA I quickly accrued a list of features I would like to see implemented in SBA. I documented them in the Show Buddy Active Wish List forum section. To date, no new versions of SBA have been released and no wishes have been granted or even acknowledged.
joel77

Post by joel77 »

RichG wrote: Fri Dec 20, 2019 10:07 pmDMXIS is working for me at the moment. I like the improved layout of SBA, but feature-wise for my setup (no video screens) DMXIS and SBA are about equal. If SBA adds some new features that set it apart from DMXIS then I'll jump over.
I was just telling my wife the same thing. DMXIS is working for me and I really need to spend my "lighting time" revamping my TouchOSC layouts. I'm now starting to lean toward sticking with what I have and continue to improve my light shows. When I run into a serious short-coming of the software, then I'll see about upgrading. I also just recently purchased more moving head lights, so I've got to get them incorporated into my shows.
Another concern I have is my hardware. I'm running DMXIS on an old small laptop. It takes about 10% CPU to run DMXIS. SBA takes about 30% CPU. I'm concerned about the laptop keeping up without overheating or getting bogged down.
I hear that!