Video Quality

Chat about Show Buddy Active lighting & video control software
sonasrec

Video Quality

Post by sonasrec »

I've been using Dmxis with my band for about 4 years with great success. I love the ease of use and control element. I use touchosc on an ipad to select my lighting scenes.

About 18 months ago I added projected video to our gig using magic music visuals. It works well (also uses the same touchosc commands). It also has the advantage of being able to add sound controlled effects (Waveforms, GLSL shaders) and I've added a webcam as a live input. I can switch on the crowd cam any time during the gig. The only issue with my setup is that magic is maxing out my macbook pro bigtime, and I've been looking for a setup that runs a little easier on my computer.

I was looking forward to dmxis platinum (as it was called then) for it's video capabilities but I'm afraid, when I convert the mp4 video content to the VP8 required for SBA, the quality looks pretty terrible on a big screen, even when the converted file is the same size as the original mp4.

Am I doing something wrong, or is this web friendly video format not up to high resolution big screen projection???

Would also love to have the audio controlled effects available on magic and the ability to have an external cam for input...... but one thing at a time :)

Is anyone here using video regularly on SBA?
Dave Brown [admin]

Re: Video Quality

Post by Dave Brown [admin] »

What video resolution are you trying to project?

Have you selected a suitable 'Video resolution' in the Preferences window?
Dave Brown - db audioware
Author of Show Buddy Setlist | Show Buddy Active | ArtNetMon
sonasrec

Post by sonasrec »

Thanks for that Dave. I hadn't seen that you could scroll down the pref window. Higher res selected now and it's an improvement. Looking forward to trying on a projector soon.

Would a live cam input be a very difficult thing to achieve? Can you include it on the wishlist?

Thanks.
RichG

Post by RichG »

Been thinking about adding video to my current production. Would love to see some pics of your setup.