Am I imagining it? lights brighter in SB Active than DMXIS?

Chat about Show Buddy Active lighting & video control software
jonnymee

Am I imagining it? lights brighter in SB Active than DMXIS?

Post by jonnymee »

I just bought Show Buddy Active after using DMXIS for the last year or so as a new project i'm doing needs it. I haven't even really used it yet but now when I'm using DMXIS the lights are noticeably brighter than what they were before I installled SB Active (i have Show Buddy Setlist as well and that is exactly the same output as DMXIS). The response to audio also seems tighter, does SB Active install a different driver or something? I've only tried it on Mac Catalina so far.
cgrafx

Re: Am I imagining it? lights brighter in SB Active than DMXIS?

Post by cgrafx »

What lights are you talking about?

Are you referring to your actual lighting fixtures?

If so, you're imagining it, as DMX is DMX is DMX. Nothing that happens at the end of the chain will have any effect on the brightness of your lights. A DMX signal of 255 is going to produce the same result regardless of what devices is sending that 255 value.

If your lights across the board are brighter then about the only explanation is you must have previously had the master dimmer set below full output and when you switched to Show Buddy Active, the Master Dimmer is now set at its full 100% default state.
jonnymee

Re: Am I imagining it? lights brighter in SB Active than DMXIS?

Post by jonnymee »

I'm talking about the actual lights being brighter but know that this can only be caused by instructions being sent to hem, the faders showing on the GUI are definitely more responsive, and for the better. I know that the lights themselves can't change ( I'm fairly new to DMXIS but I used to run a Pulsar Masterpiece from Cubase on an Atari back in the 90s ). I've just had a play and the faders seem 'bouncier'. It's as if they were previously quantized to 1/16 but now its picking up everything, like snare rolls flashing at incredible speeds but still in time, and the flashes are dimming quicker. I've always had the master level at 100%. Autorun is going through the presets twice as fast as before. I just checked my soundcard settings and for audio playback my Audient EVO-8 is on 96KHz that I don't remember having it set at. That's the only thing I can think of that could be causing it. I don't use the mac mini for recording so if that's what's made the difference I'll keep it that way.