Moving Data to Laptop

Chat about Show Buddy Active - lighting & video control software
Hambone

Moving Data to Laptop

Post by Hambone » Thu Feb 28, 2019 6:10 am

I have been building my show in the VST plug-in. The show with the same name in the standalone doesn't show the edits made in the plug-in.

How do I move the show I built in the plug-in from my desktop PC to my laptop? If I copy the db-audioware/Show Buddy Active folder to the laptop, will my show that I edited in the plug-in on the desktop show up in Ableton Live on the laptop?

Thanks!

Edit: I just copied it over. The plug-in on the laptop doesn't have the same show as the plug-in on the desktop. How do I get it over to the laptop?

Edit 2: When I swap shows in the standalone on the PC and re-open Ableton Live, SBA does not switch to the show I chose in the standalone before I closed it. Shouldn't it do this?

Also, when I make edits in the standalone on the laptop, the edits do not show up in the plug-in.

Help... big show on Saturday! :cry:
Last edited by Hambone on Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hambone

Re: Moving Data to Laptop

Post by Hambone » Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:53 am

Another question. Why does my laptop plug-in not have the MIDI learn button, but my desktop plug-in does? They're both Version 2.0.11.

The desktop has the MIDI learn button in both the standalone and the plug-in, but the laptop only has it on the standalone.

Dave Brown [admin]

Post by Dave Brown [admin] » Thu Feb 28, 2019 10:44 am

Hambone wrote:
Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:53 am
Why does my laptop plug-in not have the MIDI learn button, but my desktop plug-in does? They're both Version 2.0.11.
The MIDI Learn button was added back at 2.0.8. If you can't see the button in the plug-in, then it's most likely that your VST host is loading an older plug-in lurking on your disk somewhere.
Dave Brown - db audioware
Author of DMXIS | D-Pro | Show Buddy | Show Buddy Active | ArtNetMon

Hambone

Post by Hambone » Thu Feb 28, 2019 5:26 pm

Yep! That was the culprit. The plug-in was in the wrong folder.

What about the show I built in the plug-in on the desktop? How do I get that to the laptop?

Thanks!

Hambone

Post by Hambone » Thu Feb 28, 2019 8:23 pm

Sorting out the plug-in folders also fixed the problem with the plug-in not seeing the last show opened in the standalone.

And in the process of doing that, I lost all the edits I had made in the plug-in!

So is it best to do the show edits in the standalone?

Dave Brown [admin]

Post by Dave Brown [admin] » Fri Mar 01, 2019 12:03 pm

This is a corner case related to the recent name change from "DMXIS Platinum" to "Show Buddy Active".

If you edited banks & presets using an old (pre-2.0.11) plug-in, those edits would have been saved in the old "DMXIS Platinum" shows folder. That's why you can't see them with the 2.0.11 "Show Buddy Active" plug-in.

The missing preset files can still be manually copied into the new "Show Buddy Active" shows folder.

Hambone

Post by Hambone » Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:33 pm

Thanks!

Can I save the edits I make in the plug-in? I work on the light shows while Ableton Live is running the video and audio. If I use the SBA standalone, I have to reconfigure all of my Live lighting outputs.

Dave Brown [admin]

Post by Dave Brown [admin] » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:40 am

Hambone wrote:
Sun Mar 03, 2019 11:33 pm
Can I save the edits I make in the plug-in?
Yes, absolutely :)

Hambone

Post by Hambone » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:37 am

So, when using the plug-in, I see I can create and edit banks and presets.

But what about shows? When I edit a show in the plug-in, should the edits automatically transfer to the show if I open it in standalone?

Dave Brown [admin]

Post by Dave Brown [admin] » Fri Mar 15, 2019 9:20 am

Hambone wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:37 am
When I edit a show in the plug-in, should the edits automatically transfer to the show if I open it in standalone?
The plug-in always loads the most recent show used in the standalone. And yes, if you modify banks or presets in the plug-in, those changes will be visible in that same show in the standalone.

Hambone

Post by Hambone » Sun Mar 17, 2019 6:56 am

Thanks, Dave!