Shutter Chase with Device Count

Discuss D-Pro Python macro programming, and post any new macros here!
paulstalvey

Shutter Chase with Device Count

Post by paulstalvey »

The normal shutter chase puts each device in a group on a slightly different phase of the wave which is exactly what you want 99% of the time. Sometimes however you may want a way to have a group of lights all be on the same phase of the wave - kind of like if they all were to share the same DMX address. This is my attempt to make that happen. It does what I wanted it to do without having to create a cue list.

The attached Shutter Chase with Device Count.py allows a number of devices to be on the same phase. Just add this to your Macros folder and it will show up in your add effects menu list in the D-Pro Programmer.

An Example Use:
You have 10 fixtures 5 pointed left and 5 pointed right in the following arrangement on your truss: LRLRLRLRLR.
What you might want is for all left fixtures to be in the same phase during the chase and then all of the right fixtures. To do this create a group where left fixtures are selected first and then all the right ones. Your group should be setup something like this: LLLLLRRRRR. With your left-right group selected in the programmer apply this effect to the group. By default this effect works just like the normal shutter chase - Devices In Phase is set to 1 device in your selected group of fixtures - in this case 10% (1 of 10). By changing the Devices In Phase to 50%, the first 5 devices in this example will be in the same phase and the last 5 devices will be in the same phase. All the left facing lights will come on together followed by the right facing ones.

Note: if you are using a Square wave, you may want to set the Pulse Width to the same setting as Devices in Phase to achieve smooth timing. Otherwise the timing could appear choppy - which could be the desired effect in some cases.

Cheers,
Paul

UPDATE: The file is now attached as a zip file. This BBS doesn't seem to like .py files.
Attachments
Shutter Chase with Device Count.py.zip
Be sure to unzip this file first.
(1.63 KiB) Downloaded 527 times
Last edited by paulstalvey on Mon Mar 24, 2014 10:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Dave Brown [admin]

Re: Shutter Chase with Device Count

Post by Dave Brown [admin] »

Sounds like an excellent addition Paul, but I don't see any file attached...
Dave Brown - db audioware
Author of Show Buddy Setlist | Show Buddy Active | ArtNetMon
paulstalvey

Post by paulstalvey »

Dave,

Sorry about that. I didn't press "Add the file" after I selected it. It's attached now.

Off topic - I've installed 1.4.2. Here is an update for the 2 problems I had with 1.3.1:
  • 1. The Midi controller now works properly in Snow Leopard - still not sure why it only worked some of the time in 1.3.1 but it seems like it's fixed now.
    2. The flashing problem of going into and out of cue lists in show control is still there. If I don't use any cue lists everything is fine. I'll try to put together a sample with video of that problem and upload my show file. Maybe there's something I'm doing wrong?
Paul
ChrisDuncan

Post by ChrisDuncan »

Paul,

Very cool, thanks for sharing this.

I noticed that the forward / backward button wasn't working, so I took a quick look at Dave's original code and saw that the else for direction was negative, so I updated this line to flip the sign: delta = -1 * float(dev)/float(nd).

Now I can enjoy the cool stuff you provided in both directions. Updated macro is in attached zip file.
Attachments
Shutter Chase with Device Count.zip
Minor tweak to fix forward / backward buttons.
(1.18 KiB) Downloaded 501 times
Christopher Duncan
Author of
Have Fun, Get Paid: How to Make a Living With Your Creativity
http://www.ChristopherDuncan.com
paulstalvey

Post by paulstalvey »

Chris,

I've been using the effect macro for months and never noticed that. DOH! Thanks for the fix. I'll add it to our setup.

Paul
ChrisDuncan

Post by ChrisDuncan »

I'm already quite a fan of the effect. If you have any other cool stuff programmed, count me in! :)
Christopher Duncan
Author of
paulstalvey

Post by paulstalvey »

Chris,

Thanks! Great to hear someone else was able to use it.

Thanks again for the fix. It's so obvious - now. :-)

Paul
ChrisDuncan

Post by ChrisDuncan »

Dude, everything's obvious the next day. :)
Christopher Duncan
Author of