New macro: Mirror Image

Discuss macro programming, and post any new macros here!
Dave Brown [admin]

New macro: Mirror Image

Post by Dave Brown [admin] »

Purpose:
Copies a range of channels (including oscillator & sound tracker settings) to create a "mirror image" effect. This macro can create symmetrical chases (where the chase appears to flow away from or towards the centre of a group of channels), symmetrical sound-to-light effects, or simple symmetrical levels across a range of channels.

Example usage:
You want to create a symmetrical chase effect on channels 1-16, where the chase appears to move from the centre towards the outer channels. (This is tricky to do with the standard oscillator settings, which can only create chases flowing left-to-right or right-to-left)

First, select channels 1-8 and configure the level, oscillator & sound tracker settings to create the "left" side of the chase. Then, select channels 1-16 and run the macro. Channels 1-8 are copied to channels 9-16, with the order reversed.

Download macro here:
Mirror Image.py.zip
(1.13 KiB) Downloaded 683 times
Click here for macro installation instructions
Dave Brown - db audioware
Author of Show Buddy Setlist | Show Buddy Active | ArtNetMon
betaunits

Re: New macro: Mirror Image

Post by betaunits »

Sounds fantastic, and I'm sure it's me missing something, but when I run the macro it has no effect. I tried with two faders (setting one to a level and turning on an oscillator, then selecting that fader and an adjacent fader and selecting the Mirror Image macro from the drop-down. Fader 2 remains unchanged. For me the reason I find this macro exciting is that it seems it would invert the phase of an oscillator. Is there another way to accomplish that? I'm sure I'm not the only one who's wanted to set up two sine/square/triangle oscillators 180 degrees out of phase with each other...
NCN

Post by NCN »

I think it only works on a minimum of 4 faders ... two per side of the mirror.
betaunits

Post by betaunits »

I thought of that, and nope, still no results. Could it have something to do with the fixture definition file and what the faders are named? Is this also why I can't get the phase and shape macros to do anything? Is Dave out there somewhere? I am a needy customer! :)
NCN

Post by NCN »

I don't see anything in the macro that excludes faders based on any property; it just copies the attributes from one side to the other as advertized...the left side to the right, that is.
mikevar94

Post by mikevar94 »

Hey guys sorry to bump and old thread but I recently just got this macro and im having trouble getting it to work. I select two faders...set their positions and ocsillators then select those same faders along with two more of the same faders on another fixture (same kind) and then I run the macro. Only thing that happens is it makes the second pair of faders match the first...so theyre all doing the exact same thing not inverted or anything. What am I doing wrong?? This macro would be great for my new beams! Help!