Simple Macro for increasing and decreasing channel values in all banks and presets

Discuss macro programming, and post any new macros here!
lerniberni

Simple Macro for increasing and decreasing channel values in all banks and presets

Post by lerniberni »

Hi there!

Seems that I don't understand how python works at all.

Can anyone design a macro to simply increase or decrease the channel value of a selected channel?

For example to quickly adjust the Intensity of a fixture.

Thank You!
cgrafx

Re: Simple Macro for increasing and decreasing channel values in all banks and presets

Post by cgrafx »

is there a reason you want a macro for that?

Thats kind the entire point of the faders (to adjust the levels)
lerniberni

Re: Simple Macro for increasing and decreasing channel values in all banks and presets

Post by lerniberni »

yes there is.
Thats kind the entire point of the faders (to adjust the levels)
i don´t understand that.
cgrafx

Post by cgrafx »

Your post talks about adjusting values of selected channels. You can do that with the faders.

you heading talks about adjusting values of presets. Those are two different functions.

So are you asking about modifying presets or simply adjusting fader values of selected channels?
lerniberni

Post by lerniberni »

ok, sorry for being imprecise.
now I got your point.

I'm looking for a macro that increases or decreases the value of one or more selected channels by a certain amount in every preset.

for example:

I'm running a show with about hundred presets. I have 2 RGB Spots adressed to 303 and 308 with a [ R | G | B | Dimmer | Strobe ] configuration. I want theese to be a tiny bit darker without affecting other fixtures or the coloring. Channels 306 & 311 (the Dimmer Channels) have different values depending on the preset. Sometimes they are chasing. But overall I want theese Spots to be a bit darker so what I would do is go in every preset and reduce the dimmer about the DMX value 10. this procedure I would like to be automated.

thank you for your help!

nils
cgrafx

Post by cgrafx »

I'm assuming your using DMXIS?

Its possible to do a macro to adjust levels, but its definitely not a simple task.

Does it just modify Dimmer channels. If a light doesn't have a dimmer channel what method is used to calculate the RGBAW value changes (you can't just do a fixed number).

Additionally you'd have to make sure you create a new show every time you use the macro, as it will be modifying all your presets and there will not be a way to go back to the original settings.

What your really looking for is a master fader (which Show Buddy Active has).

It might be simpler to just upgrade.
lerniberni

Post by lerniberni »

Thanks for your reply!
I'm assuming your using DMXIS?

Yes!
Does it just modify Dimmer channels. If a light doesn't have a dimmer channel what method is used to calculate the RGBAW value changes (you can't just do a fixed number).

In my case I just need that for Dimmer channels.
Additionally you'd have to make sure you create a new show every time you use the macro, as it will be modifying all your presets and there will not be a way to go back to the original settings.

I am modifying all my presets the whole time. I use a simple script, that restores a Backup-Folder of my show presets.
What your really looking for is a master fader (which Show Buddy Active has).
No I'm not. I need the macro to adjust the Intensity of selected fixtures - not my whole setup.
RichG

Post by RichG »

lerniberni wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:09 pm No I'm not. I need the macro to adjust the Intensity of selected fixtures - not my whole setup.
No macro needed. Just select the faders you want adjust then use the up and down arrows to inc/dec their value.
lerniberni

Post by lerniberni »

No macro needed. Just select the faders you want adjust then use the up and down arrows to inc/dec their value.
Yeah...but thats not what I asked for...I'm loooking for a macro to modify values in selected channels in all banks and presets.
RichG

Post by RichG »

lerniberni wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2019 10:22 am Yeah...but thats not what I asked for...I'm loooking for a macro to modify values in selected channels in all banks and presets.
Ok, I read back through the various responses in the thread and believe I now understand what you're looking for. I may be able to come up with a macro... or at least a macro you can build off of to suit your needs. Do you know the all specific DMX channel numbers you want to modify... or perhaps the specific channel names such as "all channels with the name Red or Blue or Dimmer or Dim or R or B"?

As a side note, DMXIS has a Master setting in the lower right. This affects all channels that are defined as a "D" (dimmer) in the fixture definition. It doesn't set the fader value, but rather acts as an intensity multiplier. I typically set my master at 0.35 or 0.4. So... Mmmmmaybe what your looking for can be done by modifying the fixture definitions to use the 'D' type rather than using a macro to modify the values.
dadov

Post by dadov »

Hello,
I am also very interested in this function.
I work in different venues, I rarely have the same équipement, distance and heigh.
Each time I have to re-record most of my preset.
If I could apply a percentage more or less on a certain channel on all my preset banks, I would save a lot of time.
Certain light controller has this function, it is called gain I think.
Do you have a solution for this?
thank you all
RichG

Post by RichG »

dadov wrote: Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:43 am Do you have a solution for this?
I can code this for you.

Just to clarify, you want something that will Increase or Decrease the selected channels for ALL presets in ALL banks, correct?
dadov

Post by dadov »

Hi RichG,
exactly.
For example, If i use a generic 1 channel fixture with a 0 to 100 range.
let's say I have these values:
on preset 1: 50
on preset 2: 70
on preset 3: 30
I would like to reduce these values by 20 to get 30, 50 and 10.
Or also be able to increase some values.
On all preset and banks of 1 show

thank you for the help
RichG

Post by RichG »

Here you go. Place them in the Macros/Global Edits directory.

I set the Inc / Dec value to 5... that's 5 based on a channel value being 0 to 255. Feel free to change the value to what ever you like.
Attachments
IncDec_DMXISr1.zip
(1.11 KiB) Downloaded 321 times
Last edited by RichG on Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dadov

Post by dadov »

It's great, thank you for taking the time !
But I forgot an important detail.
If the selected channel is at value zero in certain preset (because my projector must be off on this scene)
than if I increase the value with the macro of course than i will have positive value instead of 0
I'm sorry I didn't think about it earlier...
Is there a way to modify the code so that the values at zero remain unchanged ?
And If you can do that I owe you a pint :D
RichG

Post by RichG »

dadov wrote: Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:16 pm Is there a way to modify the code so that the values at zero remain unchanged ?
And If you can do that I owe you a pint :D
Done! Download r1 above.

Now about that pint. ;)
dadov

Post by dadov »

You’re the man! It's perfect !
Message me if you come to Paris (France) someday ;)
thank you
RichG

Post by RichG »

dadov wrote: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:11 pm You’re the man! It's perfect !
Message me if you come to Paris (France) someday ;)
thank you
You're welcome!
Been there once... about 25 years ago. Maybe I'll get there again some day. :)