New to DMXis Macros

Discuss macro programming, and post any new macros here!
PsyRose

New to DMXis Macros

Post by PsyRose »

Hi all,

I am working on setting up an automated light show for my band using DMXis. We wanted to spice up our show by adding some sequences within ableton live that would also play the music videos of the songs we are playing. To take it one step further we decided to add automated lighting cues to each of the sequences within live. Automating faders and changing banks/presets via MIDI is all working great. The only thing is our show is still 80% done without the use of sequences within live. We want to create (as a temporary solution as well as a fallback plan) a bank of presets that will do generic lighting cues. This is where macros (could possibly) come in. I should first mention we are using a pair of Chauvet 4Bar Tris. We want to create a standard preset that would make all of the lights on the two fixtures crossfade slowly through an array of colors (this is actually mimicking a preset built into the lights). We have tried using the built in oscillator within DMXis but cannot find a way to perfectly sync the sliders so that they at no point line up to create a white light. I am thinking, after many trials and speaking with someone at enttec, that there might be a macro available that will sweep through the RGB values on 4 synced lights. I will confess I have never used Python before and only know the basics of coding so it would be perfect if someone knows of a preexisting macro or has the patience to deal with a coding dummy. Ideally we would like to have a few of these un-synced dummy presets up and running so that we can at least start using the DMXis software live and replace our old Chauvet footswitch.

Any help is much appreciated!

Thanks all! :D
Aaron

Re: New to DMXis Macros

Post by Aaron »

Hey PsyRose,

I have a 4-bar try as well and am familiar with the fade program you are talking about. Here's what I would do, (and it's not a macro) :

NOTE-If you want both to operate as 1 then put them on the same channel.

Idea 1
Simply use the DMX mode that allows you to call the program on the 4bar directly via DMX.

Idea 2
Use the 'select all RGB channels" and create presets of whatever colors you want. You can also use the color macros to select your favorite washes. You can even further use the intelligent chase option.

Save as many scenes as you like then use the "fade to next preset" dial along with the tempo dial to get the look that you want. You can further control the bank/preset real via MIDI on ch 15/16 respectively.

Those are my first ideas. If they don't get you what you want post a follow up and I'll give you some more ideas.
PsyRose

Post by PsyRose »

Hey,

Thanks for the reply. I just have a couple follow up questions. After posting the thread the other day I actually figured out your proposed option 2 on my own, which works pretty well but often goes through white to get to colours and isn't quite as seamless as the preset, which could be partially my colour choices. The other issue with doing it that way is I can't find a way to make bank auto run exclusive to one bank. So if I wanted to have a separate bank of washes let's say then they would auto run to instead of just changing on a toggle. Is it possible to make auto run not global?

For option 1 though I can't seem to tell the lights to use that preset, it seems to be exclusive to the chauvet pedal. The programs offered on the first slider of (any) 4bar tri preset goes through the same 12 presets that do a few pattern things but none of them match the slow fade. It seems to me that the built in dmx presets are different then the ones offered from the chauvet pedal and a rep from chauvet dis actually confirm this. So unless you know a workaround I don't think that would work, it would be ideal though of it did!

Cheers!
OUTLAW

Post by OUTLAW »

Try selecting your 3 colour channels, subjecting them to the sine oscillator, 100%, chase 2.

This setting will never allow all 3 sliders to be at the top together so no white should be seen.
"if I'd have known I was gonna live this long Id have took better care of myself !!"
http://www.outlaw.fr