Does anybody have a copy and paste script

Discuss macro programming, and post any new macros here!
skylab001

Does anybody have a copy and paste script

Post by skylab001 »

I'm desperately seeking copy and paste function scripts. I have 8 fixtures of one type and 8 fixtures of another. I have been finding it really, really time consuming trying to set up DMXIS faders and settings across all the fixtures and would love to be able to setup a single fixture and then copy and paste all the parameters (faders, Lfo, sound tracker etc) to the other same fixtures. Sometimes copying a single fader and pasting to another single fader would be handy too. I have no clue how to write code, and don't understand the first thing about it, and I honestly don't understand why these scripts weren't included for the code challenged like myself. If anybody has written these is there any chance you'd be willing to share them?
Dave Brown [admin]

Re: Does anybody have a copy and paste script

Post by Dave Brown [admin] »

A copy/paste script would be tricky to build using the DMXIS script language - there's no Python "clipboard" as such.

What is it you find time consuming exactly? Copy/paste isn't generally needed in DMXIS, because you can setup multiple fixtures by simply double-clicking on the faders.
Dave Brown - db audioware
Author of Show Buddy Setlist | Show Buddy Active | ArtNetMon
skylab001

Post by skylab001 »

I have 16 LED fixtures, moving heads. They use 16 faders each. I have a basic preset already setup for my entire system so adding a fixture isn't the problem. My problem is when setting up a preset I will set up one light, I sometimes have 8 or more faders all moving, utilizing the color, LFO, soundtracking features, as well as XY panning. I go pretty in depth. Then I have to go through and setup however many of my lights I want doing the same thing, i.e. 4 of them exactly with the same parameters...right now this entails checking each fader on the first fixture for it's functions, writing it down, and replicating that across the other fixtures that need the same functions. Then maybe I'll do another bank of 4 fixtures one way and possibly two more another, and two more. So that is a lot of manual manipulation that could be done once and copied & pasted across the other fixtures. Then after I have the rough setup on each light I fine tune them, which means, doing the whole process again until the light show is just right. So being able to copy and paste settings would be much quicker than checking a fader to see what is happening with it, writing it down, and doing it on a fader 16 channels away. Does that make sense? There is already a setting to 'copy selected channels to all presets in bank' so why couldn't one be implemented to copy from one selected group of faders to another selected group in the same preset?
ChrisDuncan

Post by ChrisDuncan »

Dave Brown [admin] wrote:A copy/paste script would be tricky to build using the DMXIS script language - there's no Python "clipboard" as such..
I don't think the OP really wants to get into coding Python but here's a thought for those who do.

We have 512 channels. I doubt that most people use them all. I'm thinking you could create a virtual clipboard by using, say, channels 501 through 512 for something like a moving head that has 12 channels . If you had a par that used 10, you could use 491 through 500 for the par clipboard. And of course, assuming you had the channels to spare, you could set up more than one clipboard per fixture type.

I haven't tested this, I'm just thinking off the top of my head. Are there any holes in this approach?
Christopher Duncan
Author of
Have Fun, Get Paid: How to Make a Living With Your Creativity
http://www.ChristopherDuncan.com
Jbent21

Post by Jbent21 »

Copy & Paste is the basic of any programing tool...

Can´t believe that there´s no posibility to use it within DMXIS

Anyone found a macro for Copy/Paste?

;)
BSmithrian

Post by BSmithrian »

Has there been any progress in programming a copy and paste script?
kallepaa

Post by kallepaa »

Hi,

I think this is quite important feature and it's weird that there hasn't been a solution.

I made a little clipboard script of my own and added it to a new thread:
viewtopic.php?f=21&t=2863

I hope you like it.

Br, Kalle