How to Create New Fixture from Old Fixture?

Chat relating to fixtures.dmxis.com, the fixture editor for all our lighting products.
lightman

How to Create New Fixture from Old Fixture?

Post by lightman »

Is there anyway to duplicate a fixture to a new name and then edit it with new attributes?

I have run into cases where two fixtures are similar and I would like to save the time typing in all the attributes over and over again.

Regards,
Lightman
kposey01

Re: How to Create New Fixture from Old Fixture?

Post by kposey01 »

I have the same question. Alternatively, is there a way to edit public fixture dmx files to correct errors, or modify for additional settings?
hcornea

Post by hcornea »

This certainly would be in my wishlist. A number of public fixtures have errors, and it would be great to correct them, without reinventing the wheel!
I have already had the experience of finding similar fixtures and being unable to modify them adapt to a similar fixture, and identical fixtures with errors that I cannot fix. And I only have a couple of fixtures! The end result, is that I have manually made my own fixture entries from scratch.

Also (and I realise this opens a potential can of worms) .. a community feedback star-rating system (say like the one on Ultimate Guitar's guitar TAB) that would enable users to easily pick a pre-made fixture that was correct.) Five stars for complete and correct, etc. This would help determine the best version to use, and help end-users.

Within a given fixture itself whilst you can duplicate channels, it would be very helpful if it were possible to copy Channel Range data between channels, or indeed, between Fixture Modes in the same fixture. At present I have to duplicate the fixture and add / remove the channel data. This is not always the most efficient way.

Many thanks for the fine tool.
dsiders

Post by dsiders »

hcornea wrote: This certainly would be in my wishlist. A number of public fixtures have errors, and it would be great to correct them, without reinventing the wheel!
I have already had the experience of finding similar fixtures and being unable to modify them adapt to a similar fixture, and identical fixtures with errors that I cannot fix. And I only have a couple of fixtures! The end result, is that I have manually made my own fixture entries from scratch.
That has been my modus too. It kind of defeats the whole community/sharing concept... but it allows me to get stuff done.
hcornea wrote: Also (and I realise this opens a potential can of worms) .. a community feedback star-rating system (say like the one on Ultimate Guitar's guitar TAB) that would enable users to easily pick a pre-made fixture that was correct.) Five stars for complete and correct, etc. This would help determine the best version to use, and help end-users.
Given a choice, I generally use the fixture profile created by Dave Brown. :D But I like the idea of the rating system.
hcornea wrote: Within a given fixture itself whilst you can duplicate channels, it would be very helpful if it were possible to copy Channel Range data between channels, or indeed, between Fixture Modes in the same fixture. At present I have to duplicate the fixture and add / remove the channel data. This is not always the most efficient way.
Agreed... but I imagine that this one is more difficult to implement on the back end.
hcornea wrote: Many thanks for the fine tool.
My thanks as well... but I'm looking forward to it getting even better. Maybe even going offline. ;)
lightman

Post by lightman »

Just bumping this thread....Any news on any new fixture editor upgrade?

Curious...
Lightman
JRUDER

Post by JRUDER »

Also bumping this.

I also just spent an entire night recreating a fixture from scratch where a public one was already almost perfect but needed a slight change.
4 hours to do what should have taken about 10 mins.

Thank you,

Joe
JRUDER

Post by JRUDER »

Still coming back to this...this is annoying and stupid (forgive me if I am just ignorant of a function) -- but how hard would it be to let us copy a fixture and edit/save as a new fixture?
Make a note of where the original came from if needed.

...but I have a fixture def. from the website that is *mostly* correct, but the highlight data is not right.
So, I can either live with it or completely recreate it from scratch?

Joe
Dave Brown [admin]

Post by Dave Brown [admin] »

If there is a fixture in the public database that is 99% correct, we should fix that one, not create a copy. Just submit a message in the comments box for that fixture - I'll see the message, as will the original author. Then the 'master' fixture can be modified, and everyone benefits from the fix.
Dave Brown - db audioware
Author of Show Buddy Setlist | Show Buddy Active | ArtNetMon
JRUDER

Post by JRUDER »

I have to disagree with you on this one Dave.

In the real world I am at a event or I have an event the next day, I don't have 3 days to wait for somebody else to fix something.
Also, my idea of "right" may be different than somebody else. I may want to have certain channels as dimmers to allow control using a fader but that may completely mess up somebody else.
I may what my highlights to include moving the fixture heads while somebody else may not and all they want is a dimmer channel or shutter control.
One size does not always fit all.

Please allow us to copy a fixture and use it as a starting point, this is a self imposed limit that creates a lot of needless reworking for people.

I understand not letting us edit the original fixture - but to use a copy of it as a starting point giving credit to the original author?

Also, and don't underestimate this point - being able to look at how another fixture is setup would really, really help shorten the learning curve of this whole process!

Joe