Fixture importing 6 of 7 channels

Chat relating to fixtures.dmxis.com, the fixture editor for all our lighting products.
Channelk

Fixture importing 6 of 7 channels

Post by Channelk »

So far adding fixtures has been going well. I am now trying to add a Genius Motor Spot moving head. It is old, and I cannot find any documentation on this unit. So what I did is make a fixture under Custom called Motor Spot - I began by adding 10 blank channels, no labels or anything, saved, downloaded and placed into the fixture library - I set the DMX address to 1 (dip switch) and added the fixture into DMXIS. Then I played with the faders to see what happened. Chan 1 - nothing, Chan 2- nothing Chan 3 - color, Chan 4 - Gobo, Chan 5 - strobe, Chan 6 - pan, Chan 7 tilt ----Ok, so I have no idea whats up with chan 1 & 2, but the rest are getting the fixture working.....

I then edited this fixture labeled the tracks, Etc, and every time I import it, I only get 6 channels with lables, everything is offset by 1 channel.

I am new at this, but in the last day have added 4 fixtures I made, with no issues.

The fixture is public - Custom, and Motor Spot.

Any help appreciated.
Channelk

Re: Fixture importing 6 of 7 channels

Post by Channelk »

I have no idea what's going on with the fixture maker, or maybe its the fixture. After redoing the fixture at least 10 times, I finally got 7 channels properly labeled and in the proper place, and for the most part, the light is working. But not fully. I cannot dim the light. Pan, Tilt, Color, Gobo, Strobe, all work. Channel 1 and 2 seem to do nothing. I tried adding 12 channels to a test fixture, no dim.

Does anybody have an idea?
Dave Brown [admin]

Post by Dave Brown [admin] »

I'll take a look - what's the fixture name? (Can't see "Motor Spot" in the public database)

Also, are you using DMXIS or D-Pro?
Dave Brown - db audioware
Author of Show Buddy Setlist | Show Buddy Active | ArtNetMon
Channelk

Post by Channelk »

I am using DMXIS. I saved the fixture under Custom, Motor Spot. Taking a look at it again to make sure I did it right, but I did get a message saying I had shared the fixture to the public.

Thanks a LOT for the reply. I am at 98% and now can enjoy building my first light show. Just to figure out 2 things, and this has happened a bunch of times, why importing a fixture with 7 or more channels often gives me one less channel and mucks up the channel labels, and why this fixture, the Genius Motor Spot does not dim.
Dave Brown [admin]

Post by Dave Brown [admin] »

None of your channels are defined as a dimmer. In the online editor, you need to set Category = "Dimmer" for the dimmer channel.

When a channel fails to appear in DMXIS (e.g. you define 7 but only 6 appear) it is usually because one of the channels is not fully defined for the full 0-255 range.
Dave Brown - db audioware
Author of Show Buddy Setlist | Show Buddy Active | ArtNetMon
Channelk

Post by Channelk »

Interesting, and thanks. I will try defining channel 1 then channel 2 as a dimmer, but I bet this changes nothing. I have a few lights that I created fixture profiles for that work fine, and I did the exact same process.....use blank channels to find out what each channel does, then define them once I know what is what.

Thanks a lot for the posts and I will watch the range data on each channel to make sure it is set 0 to 255.