Viewing fixtures

Chat relating to fixtures.dmxis.com, the fixture editor for all our lighting products.
ChrisDuncan

Viewing fixtures

Post by ChrisDuncan »

From what I've seen in the forums, a significant number of problems are related to incorrect fixture setup. However, when I look at fixtures created by others, I have no way of comparing them to the DMX spec in the manual to see if they're correct. It becomes a matter of trial and error, first questioning if you did something wrong with your show programming, then getting around to suspecting the fixture definition. And with no way to view the setup, the only option is to create one from scratch and see if it solves your problem.

Low priority on the development list I'm sure, but next time the fixture editor gets some attention it would be great to have a read only view of the ones you didn't create yourself for verification.
Christopher Duncan
Author of
Have Fun, Get Paid: How to Make a Living With Your Creativity
http://www.ChristopherDuncan.com
Dave Brown [admin]

Re: Viewing fixtures

Post by Dave Brown [admin] »

Yup, fair point, I'll add that next time I'm in my PHP/MySQL work clothes.

As a partial workaround in the meantime, you can always download the DMXIS fixture file and examine that with a text editor. The DMXIS version of a fixture doesn't contain every attribute downloaded by D-Pro, but you can at least check the basic channel information.
Dave Brown - db audioware
Author of Show Buddy Setlist | Show Buddy Active | ArtNetMon
ChrisDuncan

Re: Viewing fixtures

Post by ChrisDuncan »

That completely escaped my attention and is of course the perfect way to validate or debug a fixture. I wrote all my Dmxis fixtures by hand because that's faster for me than a UI. Don't know why it never occurred to me to just download the xml.

Complicated thngs are easy. It's the obvious that usually trips me up.
Christopher Duncan
Author of
Have Fun, Get Paid: How to Make a Living With Your Creativity
http://www.ChristopherDuncan.com