Midi Contoller for DMXIX

byardt

Midi Contoller for DMXIX

Post by byardt »

Hi, I'm a newbie to DMXIS and finding it a fantastic tool. However, I am looking for the ideal midi controller that can cover most bases in terms of programming banks/presets and firing them off in a live performance. Has anyone found souch a controller or are we waiting for a dedicated unit to be invented? Macbook Pro/Traktor.
Cheers,
Byard.
rad3d

Re: Midi Contoller for DMXIX

Post by rad3d »

While most of what I do with DMXis is done using simple footswitch preset control, I also run a bank of MIDI gear from a McMillen SoftStep MIDI foot controller (http://www.keithmcmillen.com/softstep/overview), and use it to fire off certain special effects in DMXis. McMillen's controllers have some of the most comprehensive MIDI capabilities you can find in a very small package. If you are looking for a touch controller, you might look into their QuNeo (http://www.keithmcmillen.com/QuNeo/overview).

With either of these, you can trigger specific banks/presets, individual faders, etc. in DMXis.

If you are simply wanting some sort of remote control capability for DMXis, you might also want to see what they offer up with the iPad remote app that will be part of the next release (no details yet, though).
robare99

Post by robare99 »

I use a Behringer FCB1010 to control DMXIS. Out of the box, it works like those.

Bank 0, 1-10 first 10 scenes on the scene list
Bank 1, 1 - 10 next 10 scenes

Etc.
byardt

Post by byardt »

Thanks guys for your your posts. Have looked at what is available for my needs and decided to go with Novation ZeRO SL MkII. Will post once I have had chance to work with it.
harmonicspeed

Post by harmonicspeed »

Hi,

I am trying to set up my Rocktron All Access midi pedalboard up to control the DMXIS.

The Rocktron All Access is capable of sending midi messages to 16 separate midi channels to 16 independent midi devices at any one time if desired.
At the moment, the way I have things plugged in:

All Access midi OUT going to Roland VG-99 midi IN,
VG-99 midi OUT going into Roland XV-5050 midi IN,
XV-5050 midi THRU into the midi to USB to control DMXIS.

I have already been using this to control various midi equipment in my guitar rack for many years. However when plugged into the DMXIS it seems to be responding to messages on each one of the 16 midi channels? I can select PRESETS, assign the 'midi learn' to the pedal but, totally unable to select BANKS. However if I try and set something up on a different midi channel (to affect a different midi device NOT the DMXIS) the DMXIS starts following the bank and preset numbers on that channel too?

All I wish to do at this stage is to be able to recall different BANKS and PRESETS in the DMXIS via the Rocktron All Access. I have read that the DMXIS receives BANK messages on Chan 15 and PRESET messages on Chan 16.

If anyone can help I be really grateful.

Has anyone else used the All Access successfully with the DMXIS yet?
Freelance musician, singer/guitarist, composer, music teacher, recording artist, performer.

www.darrenhuntsolo.webs.com
harmonicspeed

Post by harmonicspeed »

Getting closer!!

I can re assign the bank up down and preset up down functions with the midi learn.

Only problem now is that when select a patch for my guitar setup I would like to be able to specify exactly what bank and preset is selected in the DMXIS. I do not want to have to keep manually scrolling up and down (pedal pushing) to select the correct PATCHand BANK in the DMXIS each time I change guitar sounds.

Any thoughts?
Freelance musician, singer/guitarist, composer, music teacher, recording artist, performer.

robare99

Post by robare99 »

Channels 15 & 16 have to be set to midi note instead of midi CC.

Channel 16, the lowest midi note C-2 will be the first preset on the list. Then C#-2 will be the next etc etc.

C-2 means the second C below middle C. You might have to look it up to see what the lowest note is. This is just from memory.

Channel 15, same thing is for the banks.

I think you can change the patch or the bank, but not at the same time.
harmonicspeed

Post by harmonicspeed »

Thanks for the fast reply robare99,

I do not think the Rocktron can send midi note messages. Not sure if there is a 'work around' I just want to use my existing midi pedal board to recall specific banks within DMXIS when I select different guitar presets on the same pedalboard.

robare99

Post by robare99 »

Myself, I have a guitar pedalboard (Boss ME5) and I use an FCB1010 dedicated to controlling DMXIS
harmonicspeed

Post by harmonicspeed »

That's a shame.
I really do NOT want to get an additional foot controller just for the DMXIS. My existing pedalboard is already too large.

Dave, Would it be possible for a future release to have BANK and PRESET changes respond to PROGRAM CHANGE midi messages and not just limited to midi NOTE data? i.e. Midi Channel 15 (numbers from 0 -127 select the BANK) and Midi Channel 16 (Numbers from 0-127 select the preset)? Maybe the user could specify in the MIDI setup menu on DMXIS whether the BANK and PRESET messages respond to NOTE data OR CHANNEL data?

I am guessing this is possible, how many other users would like this option?

Dave Brown [admin]

Post by Dave Brown [admin] »

harmonicspeed wrote:Dave, Would it be possible for a future release to have BANK and PRESET changes respond to PROGRAM CHANGE midi messages and not just limited to midi NOTE data...
DMXIS already responds to CC #32 (Bank Change LSB) and Program Change MIDI messages (on any MIDI channel). CC #0 (Bank Change MSB) messages are ignored.
Dave Brown - db audioware
Author of Show Buddy Setlist | Show Buddy Active | ArtNetMon