How to leave unmapped faders?

Rupert

How to leave unmapped faders?

Post by Rupert »

I have a 4 head fixture set for a 56 channel set of lights, downloaded from the DMXIS fixture site - thanks mmxd.

It works fine but because the DMXIS controller has 16 channels per row and the fixture has only 14 channels per head, the faders are very awkward to locate and use. Can someone tell me how I can assign each head with 14 channels to single rows in DMXIS, so that they all line up. I need to have 2 unassigned faders in DMXIS at the end of each row.

I have tried to do this using the Patch Channel in DMXIS software, but the faders displayed did not change.

Help please?
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-11-19 at 18.16.00.png
Screenshot 2021-11-19 at 18.16.00.png (96.31 KiB) Viewed 1475 times
Rupert

Re: How to leave unmapped faders?

Post by Rupert »

This attachment of the Patch Channel controller might clarify the matter.
Attachments
Screenshot 2021-11-19 at 18.48.53.png
Screenshot 2021-11-19 at 18.48.53.png (76.73 KiB) Viewed 1473 times
RichG

Post by RichG »

Do a Right-Click|Fixture Library|<whatever fixture you want> only on the channels where you want them to start. Do this for Ch 1, 17, 33, etc... Skip over Ch 15 & 16, 31 & 32.

<edit... see below...>
Last edited by RichG on Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cgrafx

Post by cgrafx »

Rupert wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 7:17 pm I have a 4 head fixture set for a 56 channel set of lights, downloaded from the DMXIS fixture site - thanks mmxd.

It works fine but because the DMXIS controller has 16 channels per row and the fixture has only 14 channels per head, the faders are very awkward to locate and use. Can someone tell me how I can assign each head with 14 channels to single rows in DMXIS, so that they all line up. I need to have 2 unassigned faders in DMXIS at the end of each row.

I have tried to do this using the Patch Channel in DMXIS software, but the faders displayed did not change.

Help please?
There isn't a simple direct way to do what your requesting. The light fixture itself determines the channels and they run contiguously from whatever the start channel is. DMXIS is functionally a very simple 512ch DMX controller (1 fader per channel) with some sophisticated macros running on top to give you a more control of the specific channels being controlled.

The only way you could do what your proposing would be to create a fixture profile with more than 56 channels to leave room for the blank faders and then use the patch channel commands to point those back to their proper channel location. This would of coarse be a completely manual operation. Load the functionally incorrect fixture profile, and manually patch the incorrect channels to point to the correct fixture DMX locations.
RichG

Post by RichG »

cgrafx wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 11:13 pm There isn't a simple direct way to do what your requesting. The light fixture itself determines the channels and they run contiguously from whatever the start channel is. DMXIS is functionally a very simple 512ch DMX controller (1 fader per channel) with some sophisticated macros running on top to give you a more control of the specific channels being controlled.
Ohhhh... I get it now. I misunderstood the issue. Yes, if the fixture itself has a 56 Ch personality then there's nothing you can do in DMXIS to line them up nicely.

I've run into a similar issue with a Sweeper that has 8 RGBW lights in a row. I ended up creating a "Sweeper Control" fixture that contains the definition for the Sweeper's Dimmer, Rotation, Strobe, Macros, etc... and then a "Sweeper Light" fixture that is a simple RGBW definition. When I load the fixture into DMXIS I first load the "Sweeper Control" followed by eight "Sweeper Lights". This makes selections MUCH easier. I can double-click on the Red channel of the "Sweeper Light" and it will select all eight Red channels(actually sixteen as I have two Sweepers in my case). I can then apply oscillators and chases as desired.