cues lagging - but only in one song, and only when set plays from beginning

dmexcess

cues lagging - but only in one song, and only when set plays from beginning

Post by dmexcess »

Hi, everyone. I have a very frustrating problem that I really need an answer to before a show this weekend...

I use Logic Pro X to run backing tracks for live performance. Everything is run to a click, synced to a global tempo map. I'm using DMXIS to control a simple lighting rig. The light cues for the whole show are mapped out on a midi roll in Logic, per usual. And all the lights sync up perfectly – except for one song in the middle of the set. During that song, every cue happens two beats late - but only when the set plays from the beginning.

Now, you might be thinking, "Just slide all the midi notes two beats to the left, and there's your solution." ...Except, that's not it.

The midi notes are synced perfectly, and when I play the problematic track by itself in Logic, all the light cues fire correctly. Even when I start with the song before the problematic song and let it roll right into the next song (as it would in the live show), it works perfectly. It seems to be only when I play the entire set from the beginning that the light cues in this one song end up being two beats behind. Notably, the songs that come after it remain perfectly synced up.

I've been banging my head against a wall about this. I can't replicate the problem in order to identify a cause, and everything seems correct. Any idea what may be causing it?