HEEELP!

Harddrive

HEEELP!

Post by Harddrive »

Gig last night. DMXIS app does not 'see' the unit over several different attempts at connecting via USB.

This is confirmed when using my VST plugin with my DAW.

However I have a green connected light on the unit and it features in 'Device Manager' in Windows 10.

What gives? Have another gig tonight so any help will be grovellingly appreciated.

The one thing I don't want to do is reinstall and lose my carefully programmed 100 scenes. That would kill me to reprogram

UPDATE: When I bring up the app, the green led on the DMXIS motherboard in between the 3 and 5 pin connectors flashes twice fast the once slow. It must be connected, because when I close the app, it goes steady green. Why therefore is the app saying not?

UPDATE #2: Found the software needed to reinstall the firmware. Apparently those lights mean something! Reinstalled firmware, problem fixed.

Thanks all

HARDDRIVE
Harddrive

Re: HEEELP!

Post by Harddrive »

HEEELP again

Mid programming session, DMXIS goes daft again and gives me four green lights. I have tried to update the firmware again but this doesn't seem to be doing the trick

Couple of questions:

What does it mean when all four lights are lit?

Can I seamlessly update to Showbuddy and use my scenes from DMXIS?

I only have a few available days until my next gig. Really need help here

harddrive
Dave Brown [admin]

Post by Dave Brown [admin] »

Harddrive wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 8:58 pmWhat does it mean when all four lights are lit?
It means the firmware on the box is corrupted. To the best of my knowledge, the only quick fix is to reload the firmware using ENTTEC's Pro Manager utility.
Can I seamlessly update to Showbuddy and use my scenes from DMXIS?
Yes, you could switch to Show Buddy Active and import your DMXIS scenes, via the File > Import DMXIS data menu option in the standalone app.

You can test out the Import feature right away using the Show Buddy Active demo. When you have a full license, you can transmit DMX data to any ENTTEC USB Pro or Open DMX compatible interface, or to an Art-Net box.

See the Show Buddy Active FAQ for more details of supported hardware.
Dave Brown - db audioware
Author of Show Buddy Setlist | Show Buddy Active | ArtNetMon
Harddrive

Post by Harddrive »

Is Show Buddy Active available as a MIDI Soft Synth Plug in?

I trigger my scenes in synchrony with the songs using Bandlab Sonar

Harddrive
Dave Brown [admin]

Harddrive wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 10:19 pmIs Show Buddy Active available as a MIDI Soft Synth Plug in?
Show Buddy Active has a VST plug-in, just as DMXIS does.

Grab the demo and try it for yourself. The demo is identical to the full product, except no DMX or Art-Net data is transmitted and a watermark appears on the video window.
Harddrive

Post by Harddrive »

Sounds good. So I can uninstall DMXIS and install Showbuddy Active and import the scenes?

I need a seamless transition. It also seems that somehow my convoluted USB network may have corrupted DMXIS's firmware

I have bypassed it (the hub at least which drives DMXIS from the DAW) and it seems we have two on and one flashing again

I still need something else which is rock solid so Showbuddy will obviously be the answer

I just need a convenient time to do the changeover and make it all work. I have a series of weekend gigs coming up for the next two months

Harddrive
Harddrive

Post by Harddrive »

Dave - just looked. Two hundred bucks for the Showbuddy Active basic?

That is waaaay out of my price range. You do discounts? Serious question.

harddrive
Harddrive

Post by Harddrive »

Update - after a bit of a wrestle, the firmawre update seems to have stuck in now and the system is working.

I'll have to save my pennies to update to Showbuddy Active. In the meantime, what is it that causes the firmware to corrupt randomly? SUrely the 'operating system' DMXIS uses is pretty basic and bulletproof and not subject to data sent over the USB from the UI or the VST plug in to make it misbehave? Is there not a patch for this?

harddrive
Dave Brown [admin]

Harddrive wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 8:43 pmSUrely the 'operating system' DMXIS uses is pretty basic and bulletproof and not subject to data sent over the USB from the UI or the VST plug in to make it misbehave? Is there not a patch for this?
It is definitely not related to the software running on the computer, nor the USB connection to the computer. I believe ENTTEC attributed the problem to issues on the DMX side of the hardware box, possibly environmental interference on the DMX cabling. There’s no patch or firmware upgrade available to fix it.
Harddrive

Post by Harddrive »

That figures, although the randomness confuses me. The box firstly failed to initialise on startup at random setting up at a gig, giving me four lights. Then once I'd discovered how to reset and reinstall the firmware, it has behaved itself impeccably.

Then two days ago I have swapped out moving head washes for moving head spots and am using the DMXIS app to reprogramme and all of a sudden it is stone cold dead. Usual restarts and unplugs and four lights again. Even plugged the box into my other laptop to reinstall firmware successfully and as soon as it is in the DMX loop again it simply goes four lights again. Another few reinstalls and a different cable setup and I can complete my reprogramming. Plugged it back in and it works ... with the original setup (which has a 1-to-2 3-pin DMX splitter to enable the desk (under which the DMXIS sits) to reach left and right stage DMX arrays. The end device also has a terminator plug each side. I hate random, unexplained problems like this which suddenly, inexplicably also reset themselves. Its now like it is lurking and waiting to pounce again, mid gig at some well-attended and important gig in the future.

Anyway, thanks for your assistance. I take it Showbuddy Active is the front end app? There's not a 'box' as such, like DMXIS?

Harddrive
Dave Brown [admin]

Harddrive wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 11:54 pmI take it Showbuddy Active is the front end app? There's not a 'box' as such, like DMXIS?
Correct, Show Buddy Active is a software-only product.

Unlike DMXIS (which only works with the blue DMXIS box) Show Buddy Active works with any ENTTEC USB Pro or Open DMX compatible box, or any Art-Net box. So in the event of hardware failure, it's much easier to get a replacement box at short notice.
Harddrive

Post by Harddrive »

Ah - so I need to buy the software - £175 ... and the box too?

I get this - don't get me wrong. But given I shelled out good money for DMXIS and it is provenly vulnerable (and seemingly unsupportable and unfixable) as said, is there no 'discount' for existing DMXIS users who want to (and have to) 'upgrade', as such? If we do this, we are left with a useless blue box which had a monetary value on it. Resale will be impossible, given the declining reputation of DMXIS.

It's a pertinent question and not meant in any malicious manner.

harddrive
Dave Brown [admin]

Harddrive wrote: Wed May 11, 2022 8:56 amIf we do this, we are left with a useless blue box which had a monetary value on it.
Your DMXIS box will continue to work with Show Buddy Active.

I should also clarify that Show Buddy Active is not an upgrade product specifically designed for DMXIS owners. While both are lighting controllers, they have quite different feature sets.
Harddrive

Post by Harddrive »

With regard purchasing Showbuddy Active, what else do I need to transition from one system to the other?

Current setup is Cakewalk running multi tracks of audio and midi - the midi controls my vocal effects (PCs and on/offs) it also outs PCs to my synth (Roland FA06) and obviously midi note to the DMXIS.

To replace all of that and restore some reliability, what do I need, and more importantly, how much?

harddrive