Timing Problems with MIDI-Signals to the Lights

Mario13

Timing Problems with MIDI-Signals to the Lights

Post by Mario13 »

Hi everyone

I am new in DMX-Ligh-Things.
We make Living-Puppet-Shows with Music, means the story is produced on DAW (StudioOne) and some Musicians make live Music between the scenes.
The whole control comes via a MacBookPro (M1).

For the light-Controls I have DMXIS as VST/AU in the DAW. So far so good.
For the Theater I have programmed scenes which change by MIDI. That works very fine.

My Problem:
When I Play a Playback-Song from StudioOne an have programmed a Lihjtchange every Bear (Tempo 120 or slower) my lights don't change in time. You can see this also in the DMXIS-Fader-Window.

I have done many changes with Puffersize, Sampling-Rate etc.,but everytime the same result.

Do you have an Idea whats going wrong?

Thank you very much fpr your help

Mario13
RichG

Re: Timing Problems with MIDI-Signals to the Lights

Post by RichG »

It could be a DMX protocol limitation depending upon how quickly you're trying to make changes. Check out THIS article.

If that's the case then it won't matter what program is used since it's not a DMXIS issue.
Mario13

Post by Mario13 »

Hi RichG

It is not a Problem of fast changes-
I tested from 60 bpm to 120 bpm with changes every 1/4-Beat, means 60 to 120 changes per Minute.
That's far far away from the maximum of 40 Hz!?!
In some moments DMXIS-Faders move in a chaotic way from very slow to very fast, while Tempo of the Track ist constant-
It seems as if dmxis buffers fora while and after buffering it runs a few steps forward-

No idea why !
RichG

Post by RichG »

I see. I'm at a bit of a loss since I only use DMXIS in stand-alone mode. I've never used it with a DAW.

If I were to troubleshoot it, here's what I'd do. I'd monitor the MIDI data from the DAW with MidiOx. Look at the data stream to see if there are any unexpected messages (including sysex) going out that could be interfering with the timing. DMXIS might be doing exactly what it's being told to do. Older versions of DMXIS operated in omni mode and would thus react to messages on any channel. The latest version allows you to set the specific channel.
Mario13

Post by Mario13 »

Thanks RichG

Sorry I forgot to discribe my Performance:

MacBookPro 13" (M1) Apple Sikicon
Presonus StudiOne V5.
DMXIS 1.7.2

I will have a lokk at the MIDI-Data. Will inform you.

Thanks, Mario13
Dave Brown [admin]

Post by Dave Brown [admin] »

In the Preset Manager page of DMXIS, select each preset in turn, and make sure "Fade To Next" is set to 0.00.

(Positive fade times would have the effect you describe)
Dave Brown - db audioware
Author of Show Buddy Setlist | Show Buddy Active | ArtNetMon
Mario13

Post by Mario13 »

Dave

Thanks for your Answere

Sorry, but this is not the Problem.
Faders change fast, but not in time

Look at this Video.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/jitpc3z35e3wy4j/DEMO-Video.mov?dl=0

Midi-Track is made by clicking the notes (not per playing on a Keyboard).

Mario13
Mario13

Post by Mario13 »

Isn't here anyone who has the same Problem using DMXIS as VST/AU-Plugin in StudioOnePro V5?
After a week of reading tonns of Information about DMXIS, askingf questions to Presonus (StudioOne) am not a little step forward than last week. It is really bad.
I am sitting between to Mountains: One is Presonus, one is Enttec and I am sitting between, crying for help and both think: It's your turn. And I am dying.

Mario13
RichG

Post by RichG »

I watched the video and can see the issue you're talking about. I'm unable to duplicate your setup here (I run standalone DMXIS on a PC).

If I had your setup in front of me, here's what I'd do:

1. Verify the MIDI data. On a PC I use MIDI-OX. I think you can use Midi Pipe to do this on a Mac. Make sure the notes aren't doing anything like volume swells, or sustaining after being told to turn off. This will be the deciding factor whether or not is it a DAW issue or a DMXIS issue.
2. If it's a DMXIS issue, Start from the beginning... Set up a new TEST show, no presets, or fixtures, or anything. If the problem goes away then it has something to do with how you have presets defined.
3. If it's a DAW issue, unload DMXIS and see if the problems goes away. Maybe there's some setting in the DAW that could be affecting the MIDI data.

Something else you could try (if you don't want to go the MIDI-OX, Midi Pipe route) would be to hook up a midi interface and a keyboard. Play the track and listen to what it sounds like.
Mario13

Post by Mario13 »

Thanks,

my Porblem is solved.
RichG

Post by RichG »

Mario13 wrote: Mon Oct 18, 2021 11:52 am my Porblem is solved.
Please post the solution in case someone comes here looking to solve a similar issue.