DMXIS Slightly Off Beat

coryjbergquist

DMXIS Slightly Off Beat

Post by coryjbergquist »

Hello,

I'm new to DMX lighting in general. However after a lot of reading, I believe the DMXIS should be able to handle what I'm attempting. I'm using Ableton, I have a 100 bpm song, and I'd like to flash my Lunsy par can light on every beat. However, the light always comes on just a bit behind the beat (anywhere from about 1/4 of a second to 1/3 of a second late). Could this be a latency issue with the DMXIS plugin, or Ableton itself?

My current setup: Ableton buffer size: 256 samples, DMXIS packet refresh rate (set in Pro-Manager): 25, DMXIS hooked up to a powered usb hub, controlling one Lunsy 36LED par can with a DMX terminator (this light is on the cheap end, so maybe there's an issue there?). Am I missing something?
coryjbergquist

Re: DMXIS Slightly Off Beat

Post by coryjbergquist »

After some more testing, it seems to almost certainly be a latency issue with the DMXIS plugin. I added a 127ms delay to my audio track, and now my light is flashing directly on the beat. Is this normal for the DMXIS plugin?

I did some testing with much lower Ableton buffer size (64), which lessens the delay on the audio, but the delay of the DMXIS plugin persists. Is there anything that can be done about this? My CPU is low (between 5-10%) so I don't believe my laptop is the issue.