Chase with moving color?

dnathan

Chase with moving color?

Post by dnathan »

I'm trying to create a chase of blues with a red light jumping from fixture 1 to fixture 7. Can this be done?
Callan05

Re: Chase with moving color?

Post by Callan05 »

I would guess that yes, your can do this.
Can you explain in more details?

How many lights do you have, what type they are, brand/model.
What does chase mean exactly - how many are on, do they flash on/off, any colour changes?

Do the outside lights also include blue, or are they just red? Any variation in them?

Sorry for many questions, trying to understand what you are looking for
dnathan

Post by dnathan »

Ah, thank you Callan!!!

I have 7 Lixada Pars with 8 channels. I'd like to upgrade to dedicated up-lights, but am just learning how awful these are.

The channels are:
1. Pre
2. Pre
3. Speed
4. Dimmer
5. Red
6. Blue
7. Green
8. White

The chase I would like to do is:
RGGGGGG <--Frame 1
GRGGGGG <--Frame 2
GGRGGGG <--Frame 3
GGGRGGG <--Frame 4
GGGGRGG <--Frame 5
GGGGGRG <--Frame 6
GGGGGGR <--Frame 7

I'd ultimately like to use pinks, oranges etc., but want to start simple. Thoughts?
Callan05

Post by Callan05 »

this should be possible.
Do you already have all the lights on seperate channels?

ie:
fixture one on channel 1 (dmx channels 1-8)
fixture two on channel 9 (dmx channel 9-16)
etc. ?

Once that is done, highlight all the green channels (double click) and set them all at full.
Do the same for dimmer.

you now have total of 14 channels pushed up, and everything should be green.

deselect any channels that might be selected (ie click on one of the whites, but don't move it), then double click red to select all the channels.
Set the chase to square and offset to 1, while all channels are highlighted.

What do you have now?
(should be a chase, but it's green and red at full, so not exactly what your end game is, but baby steps.)

Sorry I can't get on here everyday, will try and come back quicker if I can.
thanks,
dnathan

Post by dnathan »

Thank you Callan!

I'm close. The only problem is when the red fires on a fixture, the green is still on 100% on that fixture, so it's not a red color, but a red-green mix. Thoughts?
Callan05

Post by Callan05 »

Yes, expected, but I didn't want to overload you all at once.

The quickest way from here is to repeat what you did for red on green channels, but select channel invert for all the green channels.
You might need to put all the green faders to the bottom, which is now the on position once reversed

See if that works, then it's a little bit more work for colors others than rgbw.
dnathan

Post by dnathan »

Ah - thrown from the bike. I had the red and green bouncing in sync, but when I selected all the red and turned invert on, nothing happened.

Both colors, all selected:
Sine 100%amt .40 Chase 3/8bar speed 50%shape

Thoughts?
dnathan

Post by dnathan »

One concern in the chase function is greyed out, thought I've tried several times to avoid that happening. I rebuilt it from scratch, and the same thing..
Callan05

Post by Callan05 »

did you invert both green and red, or just red?

you only want to invert one or the other.
can you post a screenshot if it's still not working?
dnathan

Post by dnathan »

I'm not getting invert to work at all. If I have a fader selected that is bouncing down-up-hold, down-up-hold and turn off and on the invert, nothing happens at all.
Callan05

Post by Callan05 »

ok, I might have missed some steps - sorry was going from memory.
I just made something similar on my setup, but I only had 4 lights plugged in.

Can you set the shape to be 0.86 for all red+green fixtures (6/7th - basically you want 6 lights to be on at once and 1 off, out of your 7)
and also make sure amount is 100% for all red and green faders, with shape as square

If you can try this, then let me know what you see on your faders too.
On mine, I see for each fixture the green and red are bouncing together from bottom to top
because I have green inverted, it comes on when red goes off, it that makes sense?

Cheers
dnathan

Post by dnathan »

Oh MY! It works!

I've named the preset the Callan Chase. So you're famous now. Thank you for your help!!
Callan05

Post by Callan05 »

nice work, and this is just the tip of what you can do.

If you look at the offset value for each fixture, you see the first is 0, the second is about .14, third .28 (approx), etc.
If you wanted, you could manually swap the values around, so instead of the chase going L-R or R-L, it could be
G R R R R R R
R R R R R R G
R G R R R R R
R R R R R G R
etc.
bit more random than just L-R (or R-L however it ended up)

You could also highlight just 4 fixtures when you set the chase, which would give offsets of 0, .25, .50 and .75 across those 4.
Manually adding offsets of .50, .25 and 0 to your remaining 3 fixtures, you could have:
G R R R R R G
R G R R R G R
R R G R G R R
R R R G R G R
outside in, I guess you could say

You can apply the same logic to your dimmer channel, and have either 6 or 1 light on at a time, chasing.
You can combine this with other items too - you could have the chase to turn the dimmer off, at double the speed of the red->green chase, so like 2 movements in one.

using sine shape instead of square it will fade between the colours somewhat - you may or may not like it depending on the colours and the speed - but try it out and see

It does get a little more tricky with some colours, to do what you have already with green and red.
green and blue - I think you can now also do easy, or any other RGBW combinations.
Pink + Green is easy too, you just have to mirror both the red and blue channels to make pink, then have green as the chase

If you are like me, you'll have a few 'ah-ha!' moments as you get into how much power you have from such a simple console.

I hope I have given you some ideas.

Cheers,
dnathan

Post by dnathan »

Ah-man. Thanks.

I'm not sure what you meant by offset. I don't see that in the oscillator. I've got plenty of tricks now. ;o)

I have these cheap lights, but I get a dimmer, R, G, B, W. I'd love to upgrade, but would have to reprogram for the new lights, and many don't even have a dimmer in the fixture library, or even white. So I guess I'll get a bunch of the Lixada lights, swap out the loud fans, and use the same channels (d001, d008, etc). Do you think that's the best way forward?