fixture latency

AndersM

fixture latency

Post by AndersM »

Hi everyone,
I'm completely new to DMXIS, so please bear with me if I'm getting something completely wrong. Also I didn't quite find this problem in the forum yet...
I'm used to working with QLC+ but I'm working on a project with a friend who is used to using DMXIS and I would like to make it easier for him and use his system, since it has been running in a stable manner for him anyway.
We want to trigger the lights via midi notes, sent from Reaper, in synch with a click track for the band.

Now, the thing is:
I have a bunch of UKING Pars that are fine, especially given the insanely low price I paid for them. But they have quite a latency.
Now, in QLC+ I would have a midi note sent for each channel of these fixtures, using velocity as dmx value. I can just pull all those midi notes a bit forward and Bob's your uncle. Am I right to think that this is not easily possible with DMXIS? The way I understood is that you would use a midi note to trigger an entire scene, right? Is there any practial way to work around this?

I appreciate your help :)
Dave Brown [admin]

Re: fixture latency

Post by Dave Brown [admin] »

The usual way to automate a DMXIS show is indeed to use full presets (i.e. scenes) triggered by a single MIDI note. And yes, in this scenario, you cannot selectively modify the timing of certain DMX channels.

There are two alternative solutions.

First, you can use your QLC+ programming method, triggering each DMXIS fader with a different MIDI note. Right-click on a DMXIS fader, select Learn, then send the MIDI note required. From then on, that fader can be triggered by that MIDI Note (with velocity setting the fader height). Alternatively, you can send MIDI CC commands, for continuous control of the fader.

Or, you can use DMXIS channel masking to split each full DMXIS preset into two sub-presets, one for the UKING pars and the other for your remaining fixtures. Then, you can trigger a full look by loading the two sub-presets with two MIDI Notes, with the UKING sub-preset timing advanced slightly.

(Channel masking allows you to limit which DMX channels are controlled by a preset. See the DMXIS manual for more info)

I would recommend the second method, as it will drastically simplify the Reaper programming job. Programming a full show by controlling individuals DMX channels via MIDI can get out of hand real quick!
Dave Brown - db audioware
Author of Show Buddy Setlist | Show Buddy Active | ArtNetMon
AndersM

Re: fixture latency

Post by AndersM »

Dave Brown [admin] wrote: Mon Mar 30, 2020 12:10 pm Programming a full show by controlling individuals DMX channels via MIDI can get out of hand real quick!
Haha yes indeed, but then again I already was on Corona lockdown when I did that so at least it kept me busy :D

Thank you for your explanation. The latter version makes a lot of sense!