Can I use a 5 pin midi controller w/a usb converter box

floodstage

Can I use a 5 pin midi controller w/a usb converter box

Post by floodstage »

In order to make programming go faster, I want to use an external fader bank to control a mess of DMX channels in DMXIS. (I'm closing in on 200 DMX channels, so it would save a lot of mousing)

Was looking at the ADJ Scene Setter 48, which is 5 pin MIDI out, no USB midi

Can I buy a midi to usb converter and then use this? Will the learn function in DMXIS work?

If so, are some USB/Midi interfaces better than others? reccomendations?
BigJD

Re: Can I use a 5 pin midi controller w/a usb converter box

Post by BigJD »

We use a Akai midimix, and a Akai mpd26 Simultaneously to mix lighting on.
Usb to laptop. We almost have a universe depending on how our fixtures assigned.
Probably will have to upgrade to SBA soon.
floodstage

Post by floodstage »

BigJD wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:08 pm We use a Akai midimix, and a Akai mpd26 Simultaneously to mix lighting on.
Usb to laptop. We almost have a universe depending on how our fixtures assigned.
Probably will have to upgrade to SBA soon.
Both of those are USB over MIDI. I know that works. I have a Livid OHmRGB, and it works fine.

But what I want to know is:

Will a lighting controller that -does NOT- have USB, work if you use a 5pin MIDI to USB converter.

Example: Controller that only has 5 pin MIDI -> USB to MIDI converter box -> computer

Will that work? The controller I'm looking at, does NOT have USB. I want 48 faders.
BigJD

Post by BigJD »

Yup I use a Roland breakout box all the time, that way I can add my FCB1010 to the controllers I am able to use.
I the connect all my midi devices through that.
A powered usb hub helps also.
floodstage

Post by floodstage »

BigJD wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 3:30 pm Yup I use a Roland breakout box all the time, that way I can add my FCB1010 to the controllers I am able to use.
I the connect all my midi devices through that.
A powered usb hub helps also.
Cool. I will pick up the stagesetter I've been looking at. I think having a mess of faders will speed up the programming proess
BigJD

Post by BigJD »

Yeah stagesetters have a crazy midi assignment that's difficult to work with occasionally because there is no editor for the midi assignments.
In other words , they're fixed to certain functions and that's what you get.
That's why I use the Akai stuff.
I can assign single channel functions to fades or knobs so I can program fixtures on the fly or build presets.
The little midimix is inexpensive and has a lot of knobs and faders..
We also have a universe almost filled with fixtures and a mouse is cumbersome when busking a live show for other bands.
After trying and looking at other options this was the most cost effective and fastest way to do it.
The MPD26 we picked up locally for dirt cheap so we have worn out the fades on it so I'm going to use 2 of the midimix as well as the fcb 1010. And occasionally the mpd 26 as soon as I replace the bad faders.
floodstage

Post by floodstage »

BigJD wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 4:01 pm Yeah stagesetters have a crazy midi assignment that's difficult to work with occasionally because there is no editor for the midi assignments.
In other words , they're fixed to certain functions and that's what you get.
But with learn in DMXIS, I hit learn and move the fader and there it is. Right?

That's how it works with my Livid Ohm anyway
BigJD

Post by BigJD »

Yes and no.
You dont get an editing option with the stage setter like you do with a lot of modern midi devices.
So you cant map the functions of your stage setter to specific function of DMXIS.
It is a stand alone dmx device so the midi in it is at fixed channel values..
That's why I keep pushing you to a different kind of product.
The ability to map functions (fades, knobs, buttons) let's you create a more customized work flow.
For example, our FCB 1010 is for when our band is playing and it is pre mapped to do preset changes and control master dimming and haze.
Our other controllers are mapped to specific functions of our lights, pan tilt and such for writing presets or on the fly changes when busking live shows.
I don't think you'll have the flexibility you're looking for with the stagesetter.
Being able to control aspects of a fixture with a fader or knob on real time is enormous. Make preset building and scene services up a snap.
That's why , I just think you're on the right track but that's the wrong device and you'll be fighting it.
floodstage

Post by floodstage »

BigJD wrote: Tue Mar 05, 2019 7:51 pm Yes and no.
You dont get an editing option with the stage setter like you do with a lot of modern midi devices.
So you cant map the functions of your stage setter to specific function of DMXIS.
It is a stand alone dmx device so the midi in it is at fixed channel values..
That's why I keep pushing you to a different kind of product.
The ability to map functions (fades, knobs, buttons) let's you create a more customized work flow.
For example, our FCB 1010 is for when our band is playing and it is pre mapped to do preset changes and control master dimming and haze.
Our other controllers are mapped to specific functions of our lights, pan tilt and such for writing presets or on the fly changes when busking live shows.
I don't think you'll have the flexibility you're looking for with the stagesetter.
Being able to control aspects of a fixture with a fader or knob on real time is enormous. Make preset building and scene services up a snap.
That's why , I just think you're on the right track but that's the wrong device and you'll be fighting it.
I have this already. It's not what I need for programming.
-> For programming<- I need faders. LOTS of faders

DMXIS will attach any dmx channel to any fader I move, when I use learn, correct?

That's all I want

If you are worrying about mapping buttons to activate banks and presets during a performance, the Livid Ohm will be there for that. (and to be honest, 99% of what goes on live, will be controlled via footswitch) The stage setter is for programming. Only. a bank of 8 faders is not enough. A bunch of buttons does nothing for me. I need banks of faders
BigJD

Post by BigJD »

Good luck