Ableton Crashing Uncontrollably and physical connection issues.

jackdoolancypher16

Ableton Crashing Uncontrollably and physical connection issues.

Post by jackdoolancypher16 »

Hi guys,

I'm having several issues at the moment with DMXIS and Ableton. The first one is that the physical connection between the DMXIS unit and my mac seems very unstable. Usually the unit struggles to connect at all, sometimes after a few seconds, or sometimes after being unplugged and plugged back in several times. It also often just breaks the connection for no apparent reason, stopping everything that is happening with the automation in the track at the time and then requiring another reset.

The second issue has just started tonight, after a few hours of working on the program using the DMXIS as a plug-in. Ableton suddenly crashed without warning, and upon re-starting won't even entertain opening the DMXIS plug-in before crashing again. As soon as you try to click on the plug-in it brings up a message saying that 'a serious programme error has occurred, and that Live will shut down after this message box is closed'. We've tried re-installing DMXIS. This can be with the unit connected, or without anything being connected.

Has anyone experienced anything like this before?
Dave Brown [admin]

Re: Ableton Crashing Uncontrollably and physical connection issues.

Post by Dave Brown [admin] »

If your DMXIS hardware is breaking connection randomly, it's most likely to be a USB power issue (insufficient current available from the USB port) or a dodgy connection (bad USB cable, or a loose connection between the cable & DMXIS box).

The Ableton error sounds like you might be running out of memory. It's certainly something drastic of that nature. Is there any further information available in the error box, or is a crash report available? Try running Activity Monitor (under Applications/Utilities) and check Live's memory usage at the time of the crash.

Note that DMXIS pre-loads all your banks & presets into memory when it starts up (in order to minimise latency when switching presets at showtime). If you've recently added a lot of new presets to your DMXIS show, that might be the root of the issue.

Obvious question - are you running the latest 1.6.3 version of DMXIS?
Dave Brown - db audioware
Author of Show Buddy Setlist | Show Buddy Active | ArtNetMon
VinceBaglin

Post by VinceBaglin »

Hi,

I think I'm having the same crash. It happened suddenly, and it crashes without any error message when I try to open the vst plugin.

Here is how I use the DMXIS plugin :

Laptop : Macbook Pro 13" mid-2012 on MacOS Mojave with 8Go of RAM, i5 2,5GHz processor, Intel HD Graphics 4000 1536 Mo

Live 10 Suite : Crash
Live 11 Suite : Crash
Live 9 Suite : ok, no crash

DMXIS 1.6.3 version

I don't use any banks or preset on the DMXIS plug, I just configure it with an instrument rack, mapping the macro to the faders of the DMXIS plugin and creating automation to control the lights.

Here is what I found when I opened the crash reports :
Thread 0 Crashed:: MainThread Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread
0 com.apple.CoreGraphics 0x00007fff5166019b ERROR_CGDataProvider_BufferIsNotBigEnough + 43

Thank you so much for your help. I'm really scared about the stability of this setup to play live.
Dave Brown [admin]

Post by Dave Brown [admin] »

Please try the latest 1.7.2 DMXIS release, available from www.dmxis.com/download
Dave Brown - db audioware
Author of Show Buddy Setlist | Show Buddy Active | ArtNetMon
VinceBaglin

Post by VinceBaglin »

Thanks, the latest version 1.7.2 solved the issue. (I thought I was up to date, my fault...)