Dmxis, Ableton & Visualizer

jonsssson

Dmxis, Ableton & Visualizer

Post by jonsssson »

Hi!
I’m running Ableton Live and Dmxis as a plug-in and would really need a visualizer so I don’t have to set up my lights every time I want to program a new song.
I write all in midi and don’t use preprogrammed chases And so on...

Is it possible to use a Visualizer or do I have to buy a device (don’t remember the name) that send the dmx back to the computer?

Or do I have to buy the new dmxis platinum?
Dave Brown [admin]

Re: Dmxis, Ableton & Visualizer

Post by Dave Brown [admin] »

With DMXIS from ENTTEC, you always need an additional hardware box to capture the output of the DMXIS box for the visualiser. Some visualisers come supplied with a capture box, others require you to separately buy something like an ENTTEC DMX USB PRO.

DMXIS Platinum has Art-Net output, so it can transmit directly to many popular 3D visualisers with no additional hardware. It also has a simple 2D visualiser which works great if you're primarily interested in visualising the rig colour, rather than 3D beams.
Dave Brown - db audioware
Author of Show Buddy Setlist | Show Buddy Active | ArtNetMon
jonsssson

Post by jonsssson »

Thanks for the response:)
Some questions:
*If i buy Dmxis Platinum, can i still use the dmxis box or do i need to buy a new "art-net box"?
*is it possible to view my lightshow in the 2d visualizer that i created in Ableton? I use the dmxis as vst plugin.
/Jonsssson
agent9

Post by agent9 »

Platinum does allow you the option of continuing to use the DMXis hardware OR, as Dave said, you can use Art-Net (via Ethernet port). The default in Platinum is to use the DMXis hardware.

I use the Capture 3D visualizer and use to have to go USB to the DMXis box, then dmx to a dmx/ART-Net box, then back into my computers ethernet port, just to get Capture to work.
With DMXis platinum it’s now done internally with ART-Net.

I would think once you import your show/presets from old DMXis to Platinum you can use the 2D visualizer. However, it’s limited at what it can display.