Confirming Channel Masking

PAngell44

Confirming Channel Masking

Post by PAngell44 »

Hi,

I’ve been using DMXIS standalone on a pc to run a fairly simple light show for a small cover band. We control it wilh a Behringer FCB1010 foot controller.

We want to add two Chauvet Geyser P6 fixtures.

From what I’ve found on channel masking, I think I get it, but then there is always one thing someone sticks in, like it needs to be in a separate bank, for example, that makes me think I don’t understand it.

So from what I understand, I’d go into one of my existing presets, select the Macro/Channel Masks/Disable All Channels. Then I will add the Chauvet Geyser fixture. On that fixture I’ll turn on the fog and red color, for example, on the appropriate channels. I’ll then save the preset as say, Red Fog On. I’ll then go in, turn the fog and red lights off, and save it as say, Off.

We could add some other presets, like Blue Fog, Purple Fog, etc. the same way.

At this point, no matter what preset we have already selected, if we choose the Red Fog On preset, all the existing lights will be unchanged and the Chauvet Geysers will come on. When we select Off, the Chauvet Geysers will turn off. The others lights will still remain unchanged.

Please let me know if my understanding makes sense. If I have anything wrong, please let me know.
Dave Brown [admin]

Re: Confirming Channel Masking

Post by Dave Brown [admin] »

Yes, that's it exactly. But if you should get stuck, email me (support@db-audioware.com) for assistance, I'm happy to help.
Dave Brown - db audioware
Author of Show Buddy Setlist | Show Buddy Active | ArtNetMon
PAngell44

Post by PAngell44 »

Thanks, Dave.

I had read on a couple of threads that it needed to be in a new bank. I didn’t get the reason for that.

Can it be in the existing bank that I’m using?
Dave Brown [admin]

Post by Dave Brown [admin] »

It's much easier to organise masking if you use banks. It can become difficult to remember which preset has which channels masked otherwise. It's more convenient to have a separate bank for each "section" of your rig that you want to control independently using masking.

If you use Show Buddy, then there is a special case where banks and masking are useful...
https://www.dmxis.com/using-masked-pres ... how-buddy/
Dave Brown - db audioware
Author of Show Buddy Setlist | Show Buddy Active | ArtNetMon